How hot are you?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Robspierre

Re: How hot are you?

Post by Robspierre »

Down in the basin it was 108 F. Hell when I went into work at 7:45 this morning it was 94 F with 48% humidity. Every lowlife who could was in the free kids shows cooling down and getting pissy when we kicked them out when the movies were over.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

It'll get down to 100 here today. Was cool and breezy this morning (we wear sweaters in the evening here too sometimes, even when its godawful hot during the day).

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Well, around Montreal, we got on average around 70F since the beginning of the summer...of course, the heat will finally pick up now that my vacation is over... :(

They say it's the worst summer (cold,rain) in Canada since 1992...
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
Spicelon wrote:My problem with Celsius is there's too much wiggle room between digits.
Sorry, I don't quite get that. Isn't it the normal distance between numerals ie. difference between say 15C and 25C is 10C? I don't think its a logarithmic scale or anything fancy like that...
I think he's saying that it isn't precise enough, the old system had more degrees between freezing and boiling.

That said - I've never met a person who could tell the difference between 20 degrees C and 21 degrees C and so forth, no one other than lab rats needs a more precise measurement than single degrees, and that's easy to do, you just add decimal places!
It's hard changing a lifetime of learning. Intellectually I know that 20-25C is basically "cool" to "warm", but
a casual glance at the number doesn't provide any immediate feedback, which is frustrating. I suppose I
could train myself to get good at it, but why? Because the rest of the world does it that way? HA!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

GamePlayer wrote:And on that note, a brief reminder about temperature from the best TV series ever made...

Forty-Degree Day (Six Feet Under)

:laughing:
I don't remember that line? ;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Spicelon wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SadisticCynic wrote:
Spicelon wrote:My problem with Celsius is there's too much wiggle room between digits.
Sorry, I don't quite get that. Isn't it the normal distance between numerals ie. difference between say 15C and 25C is 10C? I don't think its a logarithmic scale or anything fancy like that...
I think he's saying that it isn't precise enough, the old system had more degrees between freezing and boiling.

That said - I've never met a person who could tell the difference between 20 degrees C and 21 degrees C and so forth, no one other than lab rats needs a more precise measurement than single degrees, and that's easy to do, you just add decimal places!
It's hard changing a lifetime of learning. Intellectually I know that 20-25C is basically "cool" to "warm", but
a casual glance at the number doesn't provide any immediate feedback, which is frustrating. I suppose I
could train myself to get good at it, but why? Because the rest of the world does it that way? HA!
20-25 is actually pretty warm, I'd say regular summer weather. Anything above 25 is getting too hot to go outside (for me, for those suthurnurs who get up to 40 or 50... I pity you).

Why change? Because it's kind of embarrasing for the US to not be on the metric system. And most people don't leave the old system behind entirely - I still use inchs and feet and pounds to measure my height and weight, cm and kg is just annoying to me. By the next couple generations I imagine Canada wil be full metric though.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's fortunate you're short, then, and the conversion doesn't take much work. :P

Addendum:

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! Got some kind of Man vs Wild omnibus on the tube this morning and he just drank his own pee again and then squeezed water out of elephant dung!!! Goddamn, YEAH!!! I just died and went to heaven! :banana-angel: :banana-angel: :banana-angel:

BEAR BEAR BEAR BEAR BEAR!!! :laughing:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Bear, Chig. The guy's a drama queen.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Can't say I share your enthusiasm for Bear, Chig. The guy's a drama queen.
OH, I KNOW!!! :D

And a shameless exhibitionist! :D

If he doesn't drink his own pee and drop trou at some point during an episode, it's just NOT COMPLETE. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

HEY!!!

The SUN is actually out and it's HOT here today!!! Been out pulling weeds in the yarden, just came in for something to drink and to see what the latest stink was. :P

They've been doing jangara dancing with bells and drums and chanting all around the neighborhood, at homes where they've lost a family member since Obon last year. Kinda weird, kinda kewl. :)

Ciao for now!

(We've had more rain and cloudy weather since the rainy season ended than we had during it. Every day, gray gray gray. Enough to drive you crazier than a New Age marblecake. :lol: )
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Were in Phoenix today and yesterday. Twernt cool.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Damn ... there must have been a lot of people kicked off this past year: I could hear them doing the jangara at different spots around the ku here from the time I went back out (around 4:30) until I called it a day and came in around 7:00. :shock:

The place around the corner and down a house or two got hit twice today that I heard. (You put a wooden lantern pole out in front of your house and any jangara groups that pass by will stop and perform until you take the lantern down.) You're supposed to give them a snack (a rice ball or two?) and some sake, and pay them. (Not sure what the going rate is, but I heard a few years back that it was around 20,000 yen.) I think it's kind of a status thing, how many groups you can host and keep smiling. You know, keeping up with the Jounouchis. :roll:

Anyway, hopefully it'll be sunny and hot again tomorrow! :dance:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Enough to drive you crazier than a New Age marblecake. :lol:
LOL! I'd ask, but I think it's funnier not knowing :lol: :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

My patrol car is telling me it's 90F here in Missouri, and that's pretty chilly for this time of year.

However, the inside is a nice, Smu-friendly 72F!
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Cool. A law enforcement officer. A big salute for putting your butt on the line. :auto-dirtbike:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

well over 100 out there, with a hot, hot SW wind blowing like a clothes dryer.

Which is why I'm inside, playing on the net.
I sent the Mexicans out to hand-hoe cactus along the fence lines,
because I'm a mean White Sumbitch like that ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think we even made it to 100F in Atlanta this summer. Record lows are being recorded all over the continent.

It's global warming... :lol:

Why is it we don't believe the solar scientists? Oh yeah, because you can't tax the sun. :roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

We are actually kind of cool today. We have only reached 86 as of this time. The rains have cooled us down a lot. We did actually have a few days of triple digit heat. 101 was the last one I remember.

The rest of the week is calling for scattered storms, so we shouldn't bet to hot. Looks like this August is going to be bearable.

:mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Rainy season seems to be over and it was HOT and SUNNY all (of the three-day) weekend! Enough to make a McDuner squeal like a roast peeg! :dance:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

They called for temps north of 105 all last week, but it only hit that once or twice. Sat and Sun morning were nice, cool and sunny. Got hot later, but it was not too bad.

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Miserable here ... typical 100-degree summer on the eastern slopes.

However, the evenings have been great. It was 81 when I left work last night, with a nice breeze coming off the river. Perfect.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Been averaging 102+ down in the basin, 85 or more on the mountain with humidity, very miserable out.

Rob
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

You folks need to move north... that's way the bloody hell too hot... people in INDIA would be complaining about that!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:You folks need to move north...
You must mean waaay north, because I went swimming in Lake Superior the other day and it wasn't that cold. There were actually families at the beach with little kids like it was the freakin' Bahamas.

When I was younger it would've been a silly thing to do, but I've gone swimming there now for the last 4 years and it's getting warmer and warmer every summer.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.