Jessica to the Winds of Dune inconsistencies!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's the gospel I've been trying to spread. :P

I thought Nekhrun made a good point (again) over on DN: that the original "girly titles" of the next two books (Jessica and Irulan ... a big GROAN on the coconut joke, btw :lol: ) probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

To wit: barely post-pubescent geeky teenage boys. :P

(Which description fits Dunenewt over on FED2K, it seems, even though he's 20 or something.)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Right. Unless the female in the title hints at some BG-on-BG action, in which case their demographic would flock to the bookstores in droves.

I have to say that I just could not believe they changed the titles of these books. It's so sad what Dune has become. They are just so inept.

It's also sad that we don't have to work to parody the new titles. They appear to have done it for us.

HBJ
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Hunchback Jack wrote: It's also sad that we don't have to work to parody the new titles. They appear to have done it for us.

HBJ
Oh, still room for some parody :twisted:
Please God, don't let them abandon the "throne of dune" title :wink:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

SandChigger wrote:,,, probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

You know, their book signing here in Portland was brimming with the target demographic. It made me feel uncomfortable, like I am about to be placed on some sort of list and have to register myself somewhere.....I don't know. Scary.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You mean, in a, like, pedophile sex offender sort of way list and registry? :shock:

Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Yeah...that's it.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:OK. I have Pages but haven't played around with it much, since I'm used to using Nisus. Keynote is cool. I haven't tried out the new spreadsheet app yet, though, have you? (I use Mariner Calc instead of Excel.)

The set-up at work doesn't like the docx Word format. If I can't read something, I ask the sender to reformat and resend it. If they can't be bothered, it ain't worth my time. (Amazing how that works on both students and office staff. :P )
Iwork is worth the cost just for keynote :D

Numbers is excel ultra light but I have used it in my math appreciation class, Risk Assessment through Gambling (we've played craps in class and move onto poker next week), it's not designed toward the heavy excel user but for home use it's not bad really.

I have classmates that only send in the docx format, that's why I use Neooffice, unless your a professor most will not be bothered to reformat it, to busy with their important lives :roll:

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Robspierre wrote:unless your a professor
:twisted: Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

If my students whine about it, I just snort and say, "Hey, it's your grade. I'm not bothered...." :)

If the office people whine, I just turn red and look like I'm about to explode and cause another very loud gaijin scene. :P

(I'm kidding of course. Just in case that's not clear. ;) )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Keynote is about 11 kinds of awesome. I've done all kinds of interesting projects with it, none of which has even been a presentation.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I use vi. It's an ASCII text editor.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh gawd, don't tell me you're another one of the Maddox-style "purists"?! :roll:

:lol:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

:)

Nope, just too apathetic to learn something newer. I'm writing code most of the time, too, and so my needs are different.

Not relevant to the topic, I know, but I try to contribute where I can ... :)

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah. I use TextWrangler for that kind of thing. (A version of BBEdit with fewer bells and whistles.) ;)
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

SandChigger wrote:That's the gospel I've been trying to spread. :P

I thought Nekhrun made a good point (again) over on DN: that the original "girly titles" of the next two books (Jessica and Irulan ... a big GROAN on the coconut joke, btw :lol: ) probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

(Which description fits Dunenewt over on FED2K, it seems, even though he's 20 or something.)
I don't think the titles have anything to do with me wanting to purchase these books. I can safely say that I am not geeky, or a teenager, and whether I am barely post-pubescent would depend on your concept of that phrase, which is probably different to mine given your advanced years. To paraphrase Sun Tzu, 'know thy enemy', if that is what you consider people who even slightly enjoy the KJA/BH books to be.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

^^ Wow, sounds like Chiggie really hit a nerve with that one. :lol:

Well, there's nothing like a little cross-forums drama to spice things up, so this should be fun. ("Spice"! Bwah! See what I did there?)

You girls have fun.

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

I'm not being rude to 'Chigger, just clearing up a few things. From our experiences over at Fed2k, 'Chigger and I have been nothing but civil towards each other, and I don't see any reason for that to change now, in spite of any immature goading.
SandChigger wrote: I thought Nekhrun made a good point (again) over on DN: that the original "girly titles" of the next two books (Jessica and Irulan ... a big GROAN on the coconut joke, btw :lol: ) probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hello, 'Newt. Enjoying your romp? :lol:

My, my, my, to what do we owe the sudden honor? (If not the "immature goading," then do tell!)

I've recently come to the conclusion that it's just a lack of taste on your part that explains your wanting to purchase the books and being able to enjoy them, however "slightly." As for considering you an enemy, maybe when you start shaving. :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Back to business:

Inconsistency in the new blurb for WoD (as in something shot?) on Amazon UK:
Paul Atreides is the man who overthrew a corrupt empire and then launched a terrible jihad across the galaxy, shedding the blood of trillions.
Ahem:
FH in DM wrote: "Very good, Stil." Paul glanced at the reels in Korba's hands. Korba stood with them as though he wished he could drop them and flee. "Statistics: at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions which had existed since—"
OK, Frank Herbert was bad at the math, but this is just stupid.

Kevin obviously hasn't reread Dune Messiah lately. Bobo obviously didn't get this important statistic into that concordance he supposedly spent a year on.

WOW! Masterful storytelling! :roll:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Back to business:

Inconsistency in the new blurb for WoD (as in something shot?) on Amazon UK:
Paul Atreides is the man who overthrew a corrupt empire and then launched a terrible jihad across the galaxy, shedding the blood of trillions.
Ahem:
FH in DM wrote: "Very good, Stil." Paul glanced at the reels in Korba's hands. Korba stood with them as though he wished he could drop them and flee. "Statistics: at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions which had existed since—"
OK, Frank Herbert was bad at the math, but this is just stupid.

Kevin obviously hasn't reread Dune Messiah lately. Bobo obviously didn't get this important statistic into that concordance he supposedly spent a year on.

WOW! Masterful storytelling! :roll:
It's due to inflation.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

SandChigger wrote:Hello, 'Newt. Enjoying your romp? :lol:

My, my, my, to what do we owe the sudden honor? (If not the "immature goading," then do tell!)

I've recently come to the conclusion that it's just a lack of taste on your part that explains your wanting to purchase the books and being able to enjoy them, however "slightly." As for considering you an enemy, maybe when you start shaving. :wink:
Sorry, the immature goading wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed The Dukeling. Oh, and I have started shaving, but my girlfriend isn't a fan of my smooth legs any more.
SandChigger wrote: I thought Nekhrun made a good point (again) over on DN: that the original "girly titles" of the next two books (Jessica and Irulan ... a big GROAN on the coconut joke, btw :lol: ) probably wouldn't do well in attracting the apparent target demographic of these books.

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Dunenewt wrote:I have started shaving, but my girlfriend isn't a fan of my smooth legs any more.
Hard to believe.
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

She says its just not right, I don't understand what she means...

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Try shaving your nuts, they like that. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dunenewt

Post by Dunenewt »

Do you have any idea how much that itches?

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Dunenewt wrote:Sorry, the immature goading wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed The Dukeling.
Aren't there some more three-year-old threads that you could be bumping?