Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SadisticCynic

Re: Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Post by SadisticCynic »

Those are known as Thresher Maws if memory serves.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I bring nothing to the table.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I clicked-off after the third time she said "authentic" ...

if you are worried about whether or not
your life is "authentic" ...

it ain't ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I switched off before that because her voice annoyed the hell out of me.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I ignored it yesterday, and in the light of these two comments I have decided to continue ignoring it today.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

The following videos aren't all that great, but, you know, whatever. It's more about having stuff like this all in one thread. Anyway, I'd like to thank the good folks over at dunenovels.com for bringing them to my attention. :P
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Skip to 10:43...
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Aw, one of my posts got deleted over at dunenovels. I think it's because I mentioned this place... :(
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Lyrics:
This is the story of Duncan Idaho/He was brought up on Gedi Prime a long long time ago/The Harkonnen bastards had made him their slave/ But one fateful day Duncan managed to escape/ He made it to Caladan to work for the Duke/ But the Duke was fightin' bulls one day/ And got himself run through/ So Leto the Duke's son became the Duke instead/ And Leto and Duncan became good friends/ After a while Leto sent Duncan away/ To a fancy fancy school where he could learn some sword play/ When he came back he was wicked frickin good/ And Leto was like 'hey, would you teach my son'/ So Duncan taught Paul every thing that he knew/ Then they had to go to a planet called Dune/ There they got screwed over by secret imperial decree/ And Duncan gave his life so that Paul could be free/ Ooohhhh/ But after galactic conquest Paul became the king/ And they made a Duncan ghoula from an axlotl tank/ But Duncan was being mind controlled by a little midget/ Who said some magic word that made Duncan begin to fidget/ His hand fell to his knife hilt/ He was gonna stab his friend/ Paul had gone blind you see/ And was soon to meet his end/ But Duncan was stronger than anyone could have guessed/ Instead of stabbing Paul he stabbed the midget in the neck/ Paul thanked him profusely for the saving of his twins/ But his wife Chani had croaked and he didn't want to live/ So Duncan watched sadly as his friend stepped onto the sand/ After a Coriolis storm all that was left was his hand/ To make a long story short/ Duncan died again/ He was stabbed by Stilgar/ His one and only friend/ And Leto, Paul's son, became a giant worm/ Also known as the God Emperor of Dune/ For a thousand generations they were making Duncan clones/ With genetic information in his decaying flesh and bones/ one fateful day a genetic mutation occurred/ With the help of some spice/ He remembered his past lives/ And that concludes the story of Duncan Idaho.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I've never seen the video adaptation of Children of Dune (or whatever). Was it any good?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Aw, one of my posts got deleted over at dunenovels. I think it's because I mentioned this place... :(
Yeah... Byron is a petty little bitch.

Kevin's bitch.

Roll over and show us your belly for petting, Byron! Good boy! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

JustSomeGuy wrote:I've never seen the video adaptation of Children of Dune (or whatever). Was it any good?
You mean the SciFi mini?

Yeah, I liked it. Better than the first one, at least.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The hats were incredible.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
JustSomeGuy wrote:I've never seen the video adaptation of Children of Dune (or whatever). Was it any good?
You mean the SciFi mini?

Yeah, I liked it. Better than the first one, at least.
Yes it was.....

Rob
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Their eyes are not quite blue-within-blue in Children of Dune, the women are such babes in this miniseries.

Anywho, for those of you who are familar with the SPROCKETS skits on SNL (hosted by Mike Meyers) may find it interesting that Kyle Machlachlan guest starred as a really uber-German video compiler and actor. It's not directly DUNE related, save that Kyle was in Lynch's DUNE. Still, I thought it hilarious that the man who played Mua'Dib is here playing the most Kraftwerkian of German pseudo-intellectual punk dudes. Sadly, a video of it isn't available online (you can see it on a SNL DVD of The Best of Mike Meyers). Here's the transcript of it anyway. In this skit, Dieter describes the actor who played Paul Atreides as "beautiful and angular," and if he were a gas, he'd be inert.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90asprockets.phtml
Sprockets

Dieter.....Mike Myers
Karl-Heinz Shelkar.....Kyle McLachlan

Announcer: Sprockets…Sprockets…West German Television Presents: Sprockets….Mit your host: Dieter.

Dieter: Welcome to Sprockets. Welcome to Sprockets. I am your host, Dieter. First of all I would like to welcome our new affiliates in East Germany who are carrying Sprockets for the first time: LODR - Leipzig Auyste-Deutsch Runfunk. And FKMS – Funzine Karl-Marx-Stadt. Welcome to the Sprockets family. This veek we have a special feature on Sprockets. It is called "Germany’s Most Disturbing Home Videos".

[Video Overlay: An old man recites: “Germany’s Most Disturbing Home Videos. Ahhhhhhhhh!”]

Dieter: And now I’d like to introduce the man who compiles all the videos for Germany’s Most Disturbing Home Videos. You may know him as the vacky neighbor from Munich TV’s hit comedy “Who Are You to Accuse Me?” Please welcome Karl-Heinz Shelkar. [Karl Heinz enters studio] Welcome to Sprockets Karl-Heinz.

Karl-Heinz: Danka Dieter.

Dieter: Karl Heinz, you are beautiful and angular…and if you were a gas, you’d be inert. How do you go about compiling all of these videos?

Karl-Heinz: Vell Dieter, all of our videos are sent in by ordinary Germans, like you and me. People with video cameras who happen to record the everyday occurrences of the grotesque and the profane.

Dieter: I am so full of anticipation that my genitals have sucked up into my body cavity. Before we begin… before we begin, would you like to touch my Monkey?

Karl-Heinz: I would be honored.

Dieter: Touch him! Love him! Liebe mein affe-mienke! [Karl-Heinz shakes hands with Dieter’s monkey, sitting on a pedestal] Now I am as happy a little girl. Let us see the first video.

[ Videos are shown as described by Karl-Heinz in the next several dialogs ]

Karl-Heinz: The first video was sent in by Colin Hartmen from Dueseldorf. Here is a fat man in a diaper cavorting about in a lawn shprinkler. I guess this proves that old Bavarian saying that a fat man and a shprinkler are soon together.

Dieter: Brilliant. Truly disturbing.

Karl-Heinz: The next disturbing video was sent in by Napoleon Shultz of Breman. In it was see a man distributing leaflets. Another man comes over and read one. Watch what he does. He has kicked the man in the testicles! Look - the pain was so intense he has to vomit.

Dieter: His agony was gorgeous. I need to be slapped.

Karl-Heinz: The next video was sent in by Geurgud Gardner from Baden-baden. Here they have come across the body of a tramp, which in itself is not so disturbing. Until it is turned over to reveal…. ANTS! ANTS! ANTS!

Dieter: Now that’s an ant farm of a different color.

Karl-Heinz: Now this next video was submitted by Wolfie and Kristan Sana from Muenster. It takes places at the Glycofin Gallery in Hanover. Two people…

Dieter: Your setup has become tiresome. Play it! A man and a voman view an installation. Watch what happens. His trousers have fallen down!

Dieter: And now we must vote.

Karl-Heinz: The winner will receive 10,000 marks and a 1990 Chevrolet Geo.

Dieter: Geo. Stylish, sporty, economical. That’s Geo.

Karl-Heinz: Will you vote for Number 1: Fat man in diaper? Number 2: Kicked in the Testicles? Number 3: Ant Face? Or number 4: Trouser gallery?

Dieter: Make your selection.

[Audience votes electronically]

Karl-Heinz: The most disturbing video…is: Trouser Gallery. [The subjects of the Trouser Gallery Video, sitting in the audience are handed an oversized check and car keys]

Dieter: Now’s the time on Sprockets when we dance. [Dieter and Karl-Heinz get up and dance; fellow Germans join them] That’s all the time we have on Sprockets. My guest has been Karl Heinz Shelkar. My name is Dieter…Auf Wiedersehen!

[ fade out ]
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Shaitan wrote:LMFAO.....here's a Dune reference for ya....
by Shaitan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:29 pm

http://www.hulu.com/watch/229671/jailba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -in-prison

I know, the URL doesn't say anything about Dune, but watch....it's only about 3min 30s.....about halfway through the Dune related talk begins and I've gotta say, I haven't laughed that hard about anything related to Dune in a while...
You should've posted it here, douchewipe. No, I'm just kidding. :P
Here, I'll do it...
Last edited by JustSomeGuy on 25 Feb 2012 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Dog Chair
Pee-wee's Playhouse
lotek

Post by lotek »

JustSomeGuy wrote:
Shaitan wrote:LMFAO.....here's a Dune reference for ya....
by Shaitan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:29 pm

http://www.hulu.com/watch/229671/jailba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -in-prison

I know, the URL doesn't say anything about Dune, but watch....it's only about 3min 30s.....about halfway through the Dune related talk begins and I've gotta say, I haven't laughed that hard about anything related to Dune in a while...
You should've posted it here, douchewipe. No, I'm just kidding. :P
Here, I'll do it...
I honestly don't think you've been here long enough to start randomly insulting people... cause that's what we do... but hey I'm just here for the ride so knock yourself out, we'll see what Freak has to say, if ever...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

:lol:
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeR7Z7jx ... re=related[/youtube]
Interview with K.Scott McGinn of FACE DANCER wrote: E.C.: How come the band was named Face Dancer and what does it mean (sorry, I am Swiss)?

K.Scott McGinn: The “Face Dancers” were a species of beings that had a chameleon-like ability to change form in Frank Herbert’s Dune Messiah, part of his “Dune” sci-fi trilogy. I think one or two of the guys in the original band read the book. Because they were doing a variety of music—progressive, rock, country (yes, they even did “the Orange Blossom Special,” since one of the guys could play a fiddle) they figured the name would be appropriate. Ye-hah! Later, when we were entertaining serious record deals, we thought of changing the name, but FACE DANCER just stuck.