New Dune Movie

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

^^^ Words fail where numbers dare to go....
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
dm1215

Post by dm1215 »

Never having played any kind of paper game, I did not understand what Orald meant.

I am hoping that this new Dune film gets a big budget with lots of great actors. Hopefully some unknowns will get picked to head up some lead roles. I hope.
Long live the frightners!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

BUMP!

Post by SandChigger »

So...Berg continues to say worryingly dumb things and...the rest is silence.

Kevin isn't blogging a lot this year. He's being uncharacteristically silent, for such a wingbag. Sure, he's working on a lot of projects right now...but when isn't he? I wonder if he's also maybe working on...a screenplay, and that's taking a lot more of his time.

Anyone else worried?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I'm becoming unsettled.
Phaedrus

Re: BUMP!

Post by Phaedrus »

SandChigger wrote:So...Berg continues to say worryingly dumb things and...the rest is silence.

Kevin isn't blogging a lot this year. He's being uncharacteristically silent, for such a wingbag. Sure, he's working on a lot of projects right now...but when isn't he? I wonder if he's also maybe working on...a screenplay, and that's taking a lot more of his time.

Anyone else worried?
My guess?

He's reading your blog, and decided that it's better for him if he just shuts his trap.

Wait, no, that's my hope. Really, I'm surprised he isn't shouting his mouth off over Paul of Dune, since it's due for release pretty soon, right? Maybe he's trying to keep quiet because it's in ARC mode, and after last year's fiasco, no one wants to mess it up.

Maybe he's actually working on that Hellhole thing. And all the other shit he's been writing lately.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: BUMP!

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Anyone else worried?
Not worried as much as I have acquiesced to the impending flop :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Im worried that the unwashed masses will like it and we will have to put up with more of the same crap weve been getting for the last several years.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Omphalos wrote:Im worried that the unwashed masses will like it and we will have to put up with more of the same crap weve been getting for the last several years.
That is exactly what I am afraid of too:

"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
orald

Post by orald »

Phaedrus wrote:Maybe he's trying to keep quiet because it's in ARC mode, and after last year's fiasco, no one wants to mess it up.
What does "ARC" mean? What happened last year? :?
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Doubt it will be successful. But I do cringe at the thought the new Dune film may stubbornly refuse to fail as the mediocre movie the effort to make it demands it should be.

See if a movie sucks, whether successful financially or not, people know it sucks. Take Armageddon for example; even the fans know that movie sucks. "Yeah, I know it's not a great film, but I like it". That's what I want to hear; an admission of guilt :)

But I'm concerned that whether it's a hit or flop financially, the new Dune film will somehow stubbornly hang on to some credibility by virtue of being Frank Herbert's work. Should the new Dune film suck, people may elevate it above mediocre simply because the concepts in the film (courtesy of being a Frank Herbert adaptation) are so interesting and creative.

That's almost worse than the film being total fail, since I then have to expend proportionally more effort describing why it sucks :)
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

orald wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:Maybe he's trying to keep quiet because it's in ARC mode, and after last year's fiasco, no one wants to mess it up.
What does "ARC" mean? What happened last year? :?
Advance Reading Copy.

They're usually distributed to reviewers so the reviews will come out at the same time as the book. But with Sandworms, there were, uhm, a few mishaps. SC got to see one of them, told us all the book was crap. Someone else(who, we don't know) ended up posting an accurate summary of the book on Wikipedia, and then all hell broke loose, Sandworms being the pile of shit it is. There was a pretty nice little outrage over the book before it was even out.

Long story short, it was probably a headache for all those involved at the HLP and the publishing company.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

KJA's off hiking and pouting cause He realized that Co-producer meant he gets a chair on the set but everytime he has an idea the Assistant Director looks him square in the face and says "That's Retarted, it makes no sense at all. We don't need a sex scene on wormback. Oh, and where is the company of men that are riding with Paul when this happens? I know it's a big worm but damn man, our viewers are smarter than that. Oh, yeah Berg told me he asked you for that Latte like ten minutes ago. Chop Chop."
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

In a JUST and KEWL universe, yes, that's exactly how it would go.

Unfortunately....
Purge

Post by Purge »

GamePlayer wrote:Doubt it will be successful. But I do cringe at the thought the new Dune film may stubbornly refuse to fail as the mediocre movie the effort to make it demands it should be.

See if a movie sucks, whether successful financially or not, people know it sucks. Take Armageddon for example; even the fans know that movie sucks. "Yeah, I know it's not a great film, but I like it". That's what I want to hear; an admission of guilt :)

But I'm concerned that whether it's a hit or flop financially, the new Dune film will somehow stubbornly hang on to some credibility by virtue of being Frank Herbert's work. Should the new Dune film suck, people may elevate it above mediocre simply because the concepts in the film (courtesy of being a Frank Herbert adaptation) are so interesting and creative.

That's almost worse than the film being total fail, since I then have to expend proportionally more effort describing why it sucks :)
I don't think Frank Hebert being attached to something has ever stopped people from being able to say it sucked or they didn't enjoy it. Personally, I dislike the original Dune movie. There are things which were alright, but ultimately I disliked it.
A Thing of Eternity

Purge wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Doubt it will be successful. But I do cringe at the thought the new Dune film may stubbornly refuse to fail as the mediocre movie the effort to make it demands it should be.

I don't think Frank Hebert being attached to something has ever stopped people from being able to say it sucked or they didn't enjoy it. Personally, I dislike the original Dune movie. There are things which were alright, but ultimately I disliked it.
I have a feeling I would really enjoy the Lynch version if I ate a couple grams of muchrooms first... but otherwise I agree with you. As will most people here.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Just about anything can be "enjoyed" given enough narcotics.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:Just about anything can be "enjoyed" given enough narcotics.

True, but I think the dose necessary for "enjoyment" of the new Dune books would kill an elephant.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

True, but I think the dose necessary for "enjoyment" of the new Dune books would kill an elephant.
Yes, there's a threshold where enjoyment and unconsciousness overlap. You must build up your tollerance for either the narcotics or the smell of shit.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

Yes, there's a threshold where enjoyment and unconsciousness overlap. You must build up your tollerance for either the narcotics or the smell of shit.
Hehe, building up a tolerance for drugs sounds far more enjoyable :wink:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:KJA's off hiking and pouting cause He realized that Co-producer meant he gets a chair on the set but everytime he has an idea the Assistant Director looks him square in the face and says "That's Retarted, it makes no sense at all."
I think this is actually pretty close to the truth. There is not going to be a single person on that set who is going to give a damn about KJA or Brian H., or the number of books they've written, or their laughable self-proclaimed status as "the world's biggest Dune fans."

I honestly think, all kidding aside, that Brian will be on the set for less than a week. He strikes me as just about the most un-Hollywood person I've ever heard of (which is actually a sort of compliment). But KJA, though ... that is where the humor will come in. I wonder if he'll write a blog entry about the first time that Berg, or an assistant director, or the cinematographer, or whomever, says to him, "You need to sit your ass down, shut the fuck up, and stay out of our fucking way. No one here gives a shit what you think."

Hollywood operates under its own set of rules. Buying the rights to adapt a book into a film does not mean you're under the slightest obligation to get input from the author or anyone else. Our man KJA is about to find out both of those facts the hard way. I predict that Berg will actually make him cry ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:I predict that Berg will actually make him cry ...
I'd pay to see that. :lol:
~Pink Snowman
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Freakzilla wrote:
TheDukester wrote:I predict that Berg will actually make him cry ...
I'd pay to see that. :lol:
Oh, me too.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

unless of course its an in house production of $cientollywood.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I wonder if there will be any musical numbers?
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

TheDukester wrote: I predict that Berg will actually make him cry ...
I hope its on the bloopers reel or in the DVD extras. I might buy it then.