The Hydra's coup d'etat

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Just to get back on topic I've decided I am against this coalition. Not because of the Bloc though - I have no problem with a seperatist party. But - as much as I don't like the Conservatives, I really don't agree even with politicians changing parties without the consent of their constituancy (that really is just pissing on your voters in my opinion) so I can't stand for something like this. I like the Bloc, the NDP and the Liberals more than the Conservatives, but this isn't Democratic.

As annoying as it would be, there should either be a vote of non-confidence and a new election, or let the Conservatives run the government. End of story. IMO.
i was gonna say, it's ironic that with so many threads having been derailed to talk about canadian politics, this thread on Canadian politics got derailed :P

AToE: we've almost got you ;)
Not even close. :lol: I'll vote Conservative when the Hamas party looks like it might win.

Seriously, I would need a hell of a reason to vote C.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Fuck both of you and your political parties :P :wink:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

GamePlayer wrote:Fuck both of you and your political parties :P :wink:
:lol:

Do I have a party? If so, then yes, fuck it.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to :)

Speaking of which, what is with all the talk of Michaëlle Jean? I mean, what is she going to do besides what people tell her to do? If she actually does anything radical, I'll be amazed.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Looks like I'm in disagreement with most of you...

People like to play this up like the Libs, NDPS, and Bloc and just winging this idea. This is a move parliament has been able to make since its formation, and it's 100% legal.

Here in Canada we vote for parties, not prime ministers. And if certain parties agree, despite their differences, that the current party in power isn't sufficiently leading the nation, then they are entitled to a coalition. This is bad news for a minority government, but it's not unlawful, nor is it a bad idea (in my opinion). Disagree with it all you want, but you can't say Harper is being treated unfairly or any of that other bullshit we've been hearing.

The "Hydra," along with many many Canadians, are sick of Harper's Bush-Lite policies and they want someone who can think for themselves and the country.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:It's my party and I'll cry if I want to :)

Speaking of which, what is with all the talk of Michaëlle Jean? I mean, what is she going to do besides what people tell her to do? If she actually does anything radical, I'll be amazed.
Scary, isn't it? The future of the country may rest in her hands... :shock:

Here in Quebec, people are split with the events : they know we could get some advantage of the situation, but we just don't believe in Dion to pull this...I'm not a fan of Harper, but i thought he did pretty well on keeping Quebec happy, a rare success for a PM that is not from Quebec...but this thing with the "bad separatists from Quebec" could come back and bite his ass...We have an election here next week and the Parti Quebecois is trailing the Liberals by 12 points, so there's nothing really menacing about the separatists anyway...
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I appreciate this thread, guys. I haven't followed Canadian politics
since the 70s. (When it mattered to some of us, personally. :wink: )

ya'll have gotten me interested again, since I'm kinda jonesing
now that our election is over ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

That's what has made me so angry about this whole situation. The conservatives are doing just as good a job if not better than the last federal government. So I really feel the stones being thrown at them is all just bullshit.

Having said that, Harper was an grand asshole of the federation for going after political party money as some sort of budget issue in a recession. I'm for public funding for political parties. It keeps political campaign spending in check and prevents it from exploding into these ridiculous 10-month, billion dollar affairs. Regardless, Harper had to know the Liberals, NDP and all the other parties would be pissed off something fierce about his little maneuver and would be out for blood. And quite frankly, as much as I disagree with the "coalition", Harper and the conservatives deserve it for trying to pull that stunt. The Libs/NDP/et al are just taking extreme measures because they believe Harper is trying to fix the game.

However, I don't believe Harper is that stupid. I believe he knew what would happen when he went after public funding for the parties and he truly believes that he can use this to his advantage somehow. How? I'm not sure. Maybe our Prime Minister wants another election to gain a Conservative majority and figures he can use fear of the separatists to attain it. Still, it does make him the player of the political game and the biggest hypocrite in Canadian politics. I don't appreciate Harper's game or his tactics.

On the flip side, this coalition is a fucking farce. The opposition parties are joining together for one purpose and one purpose only; to royally kick the ass of the Conservatives and oust them from Federal power. That's it. They won't form a good government, it'll be a disaster and the truly scary part is they just might win.

I'm almost as pissed off at Harper and the Conservatives as I am at the Liberals/NDP/et al. This is truly a situation where I am disgusted with our politicians to a level that I have never been before. And all this is going on at a time when our country shouldn't even dream of engaging in this kind of infantile sand kicking. Fucking asshole politicians. If I had my way the lot of them would all get a public flogging for this bullshit.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I'm pretty much pissed at all the leaders too (except Layton of course, he's cool). I definitely have no love for Dion, but NOBODY pisses me off more than Harper. And don't get me started on Duceppe.

Looking at the big picture, I can't help but wonder if the other parties simply feel that Harper isn't the right person to be working with Obama on the economy. And let's not kid ourselves, much of this rides on Obama's actions. You're right about that, Bryan, as sad a fact that it is. It's almost like "Hey, I wanna be the guy to hang out with the COOL president!"
A Thing of Eternity

This 2 month vacation isn't what I was hoping to see at all. I wanted either them to let the Conservatives work, or form their coalition and then call another election so this could be put to bed by the voters.

Sometimes I think we should just hang all these idiots and start over.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Caster on CNNj just blurbed Harper recessing parliament to forestall a no-confidence vote.

Ooh, all of this just became real for me! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandChigger wrote:Caster on CNNj just blurbed Harper recessing parliament to forestall a no-confidence vote.

Heh, I watch a lot of American news (CNN mostly) just to follow things like the bailout(s) and such... I haven't seen them mention any Canadian happenings at all...
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"Oh, someone took a poll? 'Are all things Canadian boring...?'" :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Drunken Idaho wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Caster on CNNj just blurbed Harper recessing parliament to forestall a no-confidence vote.

Heh, I watch a lot of American news (CNN mostly) just to follow things like the bailout(s) and such... I haven't seen them mention any Canadian happenings at all...
I mentioned that to another old coot waiting to see the neurosurgeon this morning, while CNN blathered about something pointless from the wall.

Me: Say, you heard about Canada's government ?
Other Old Dude: Nope.
Me: Huh.
(long pause)
Other Old Dude: Well, what about it ?
Me : What ? What about what ?
OOD: Them Canadians.
Me: Oh. Fuck if I know. Got 'em some kinda trouble up there.
OOD: Huh.

then we started talking about local high school football....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

SandRider wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:

I mentioned that to another old coot waiting to see the neurosurgeon this morning, while CNN blathered about something pointless from the wall.

Me: Say, you heard about Canada's government ?
Other Old Dude: Nope.
Me: Huh.
(long pause)
Other Old Dude: Well, what about it ?
Me : What ? What about what ?
OOD: Them Canadians.
Me: Oh. Fuck if I know. Got 'em some kinda trouble up there.
OOD: Huh.

then we started talking about local high school football....
Are you from the south?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Heh, I watch a lot of American news (CNN mostly) just to follow things like the bailout(s) and such... I haven't seen them mention any Canadian happenings at all...
I wrote:Caster on CNNj
Most of the newscasters and programming is via CNN International; their main headquarters in this part of the world is in Hong Kong, IIRC. We still get a lot of shows from the US, but they cut back right before the Beijing Olympics. (We lost Lou Dobbs, for example, who I miss because he's so over the top most of the time; figure it was because he's no friend to China.) In the morning we get some Brit bint named Becky something out of London.

It's 9:00 AM Saturday morning and Wolf "I'm not the reindeer!" Blitze? and The Situation Room just ended and CNN Today is coming on. (Gots Ralitisva SomethingSlavicICouldn'tCatch today; she's not too hard on the eyes—Becky's a bit mannish for my tastes.) US economy and O.J. babbling right before sentencing. (Gawd, that's nasty shit to listen to. Ugh. Cut him off and ship 'im out already. :roll: )

And of course 'Rider is from the South. Where you been?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

DI wrote:Are you from the south?
West Texas, the Frontier of the Confederacy ....

The South actually stops about 20 miles west of my front porch ...
ImageImage

A Thing of Eternity

SandRider wrote:
DI wrote:Are you from the south?
West Texas, the Frontier of the Confederacy ....

:D :D :D
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

if they defeat the budget, whatever, let the coalition go for a couple months, Dion is happy cuz he gets on those PM posters they hang in elementary schools and once Iggy takes over, he'll back out of it and we'll have another election.
The more this thing trails in time, less chance we see Dion having a shot at PM. The Liberals should decide by may for his successor, but i can't imagine going in an election in, what, beginning of mars, with Dion two months away from leaving...I think the Liberals should nominate his successor in january instead...
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Baraka Bryan wrote:if they defeat the budget, whatever, let the coalition go for a couple months, Dion is happy cuz he gets on those PM posters they hang in elementary schools and once Iggy takes over, he'll back out of it and we'll have another election.
So Harper can have his minority gov again? :roll:
SandChigger wrote:It's 9:00 AM Saturday morning and Wolf "I'm not the reindeer!" Blitze?
His name is Wolf Blitzer and it's probably the best name of all time! With a name like that, he could have been some kind of rogue off-world super-soldier saving humanity, had he been born 500 years in the future.
SandRider wrote:West Texas, the Frontier of the Confederacy ....

Heh, you know someone's a southerner when all geography is given in terms of relation to one's front porch.
A Thing of Eternity

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:if they defeat the budget, whatever, let the coalition go for a couple months, Dion is happy cuz he gets on those PM posters they hang in elementary schools and once Iggy takes over, he'll back out of it and we'll have another election.
So Harper can have his minority gov again? :roll:
SandChigger wrote:It's 9:00 AM Saturday morning and Wolf "I'm not the reindeer!" Blitze?
His name is Wolf Blitzer and it's probably the best name of all time! With a name like that, he could have been some kind of rogue off-world super-soldier saving humanity, had he been born 500 years in the future.
SandRider wrote:West Texas, the Frontier of the Confederacy ....

Heh, you know someone's a southerner when all geography is given in terms of relation to one's front porch.
Zing and double Zing! :D
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I think that's what Harper is hoping for.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Well, the Liberal Party got a majority here in Quebec tonight, even though they talked about what's happening at Ottawa could have been a factor for the Parti Quebecois. I think people got fed up with the bitching of the last two years...
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Wow. How did Harper stand out there in a snow storm,
dissolve the Parliament, and not get his hair messed up ?

Absolutely amazing.
ImageImage

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yessir, I understand that - I just couldn't bring myself to actually
use the word "prorogue". Seems ... dirty, somehow.
ImageImage