Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG

Post by SandChigger »

So today he's advertising a sample of SMELLHOLE with a link to his blog.

You go to the blog and he tells you the sample is on the TOR website, where you have to sign in after registering.

So why the fuck didn't he just link directly to THEIR site? :roll:

DUMB-asshat pickle fucker. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

just to get more traffic ?

fucking pathetic...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sev

Post by Sev »

I see also that the negative comments have been removed from that bloody Hellhole trailer on youtube - fuckers...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I'm betting he pronounces Douchenet "Doo-shah-NAY" ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sev wrote:I see also that the negative comments have been removed from that bloody Hellhole trailer on youtube - fuckers...
Meh, it was only a matter of time. Didn't you get the memo? They get to decide what comments people get to read. ;)

They're going to have other things to worry about Monday. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sev wrote:I see also that the negative comments have been removed from that bloody Hellhole trailer on youtube - fuckers...
And no one should bother trying to re-post: we're all blocked now. It would just be wasted time.

VERY typical of how things work around TheKeith ... :roll:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:
Meh, it was only a matter of time. Didn't you get the memo? They get to decide what comments people get to read. ;)
ZING! Nice.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

:cookie sm: worthy ZING
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:oops:

Teg called up a couple of hours ago and we had a good giggle over the "memo" comment, which he hadn't read about yet.

Every time Anderson forgets himself and shoots off his pissy little mouth, he just gives us more fuel/ammunition. :lol:

He honestly doesn't think about the repercussions of his actions. Symptomatic of linear, one-dimensional thinking... the kind that navigates you from trail head parking lot up the easy slopes to the summit (or near enough for photo op?) and then back down to a growler in the pub. ;)

:laughing-rolling:
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote::Symptomatic of linear, one-dimensional thinking... the kind that navigates you from trail head parking lot up the easy slopes to the summit (or near enough for photo op?) and then back down to a growler in the pub. ;)

the kind that makes you think you've done some srsly serious hiking ?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The kind that makes you think it's proper to use "serious" anywhere near a sentence containing "hiking". ;) :lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:The kind that makes you think it's proper to use "serious" anywhere near a sentence containing "hiking". ;) :lol:
Yeah, he writes about these day hikes like they're an extreme sport. I really think he thinks of himself as being a little bit like Hemingway (note the look on his face whenever he has a picture taken of himself wearing a backpack). He's adventuring hard so we don't have to. :roll:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I imagine he's just hard, period, most of the time. ;) :P

Oh my gawd: Priapic Prose™! :shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

"Remenber, if youre prose remains erect for longer than four hours, you're obviously putting too much effort into it"

- 2010 Superstars disclaimer

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

definitely too much serious !
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No one enjoys perpetually engorged prose. It's literally painful after a while. Turns purple, too. ;)
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Keith J. Hackerson's DUNE BLOG / tehKJA's Blahg(kjablog.com)

Post by SandRider »

dang, The Stupid .... it ... burns ...

Widening the Net—Ebooks
Kevin J. Anderson
26 April, 10:28 PM

It’s not often that an ad makes me realize how much the world has changed, but there it was on the back cover of Outside Magazine: the full back cover, the most prominent advertising space in the entire magazine…featuring the Kindle ebook reader, touting its light weight, long battery life, and storage capacity for thousands of books.

Now, an ad for the Kindle isn’t such an extraordinary thing, but seeing it in a magazine devoted to hiking, backpacking, and the outdoors is what gave me pause. Somebody was thinking. It makes perfect sense: anyone on a days-long camping or backpacking trip would love to carry a lightweight, portable electronic reading device loaded with plenty of books, even powered with a tiny light, if you wish. (And that’s no insignificant thing, believe me, as a guy who has huddled inside a tent next to a Coleman lantern trying to read a battered old paperback and then tearing out the pages as I finished and feeding them into a campfire, just to reduce the weight in my backpack.) Pitching an electronic reader to hikers, campers, and backpackers is extraordinarily appropriate—and it’s the type of thinking outside the box that I don’t see traditional publishers or booksellers doing to market books.

For more than a decade I’ve been frustrated to watch publishers devote all of their marketing efforts solely to already-established book buyers. It’s like plowing, planting, and harvesting the same patch of land over and over and over again without looking at the rest of the landscape. Dedicated readers will go into their local bricks-and-mortar bookstore, browse the shelves, and buy something new to read, But the people who see a display in a major bookstore or read an ad in a book-review magazine, are only a tiny fraction of the potential readers out there.

Three out of four Americans read books. They may not be voracious readers, possibly only a book or two per year; they don’t read Kirkus, Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, or the New York Times Book Review. But they do enjoy reading a book as an entertainment option, along with watching TV or movies or playing games. It’s a huge pool of customers.

Those are the people ignored by a publisher’s traditional marketing plans.

Let’s look at the Dune novels, for example. Frank Herbert’s Dune is the best-selling science-fiction novel of all time, spawning a major motion picture and two highly sucessful television miniseries, as well as three computer games, a trading card game, board game, role-playing game, action figures, and more. Frank Herbert wrote five sequels to Dune, and Brian Herbert and myself have released 11 more books in the series, all of which were international bestsellers. And so Dune is certainly in the public consciousness, an audience that goes well beyond the fanbase that hovers around the SF section in bookstores.

Marketing efforts for the Dune books, however, focused primarily on the hardcore science fiction audience, with ads running in the major SF magazines and Locus (many of you may never have heard of Locus; it’s a science fiction news magazine with a relatively small circulation of a few thousand copies). Currently, the various Dune books have three different US publishers and any number of foreign publishers; I’m not picking on any particular company here.

Now, since the Dune novels were among the biggest genre releases for the entire year, the dedicated fan base already knew about them. By advertising only in the core science fiction magazines, the promotion basically preached to the choir. But Dune’s audience extends far beyond self-identified genre fans. Dune is to science fiction what the Lord of the Rings is to fantasy; it appeals to those interested in ecological issues, politics, and religion. Instead of limiting promotion to SF magazines, why not cast a wider net? Perhaps an ad in Entertainment Weekly? Or gaming magazines? Pop culture venues such as Rolling Stone, Wired, Maxim … or even Outside Magazine? In other words, try to target an audience that doesn’t already know the book exists.

Much of my career success has been in writing media tie-in novels based on popular movie or television properties such as Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Files, or DC Comics. Publishers license these tie-in novels because of the large existing fan base—yet when releasing the books, they do not cast the net widely enough to encompass the majority of the fan base. They target only a tiny fraction of the potential customers.

When a major new home-video release of the Star Wars movies appears with great fanfare, including large displays prominent in Borders and Barnes & Noble stores all across the country, wouldn’t it be a good idea to place a companion display of Star Wars novels next to the display of Star Wars DVDs? Obviously, the people who will buy Star Wars books are the people interested in Star Wars …but only a fraction of the huge movie fanbase reads the further adventures of their favorite characters (or, frankly, even knows about them). Now, the bookstores promoting the DVDs already carry the line of books in their science fiction section…so why not display them side-by-side with the DVDs? Cast a wider net for more crossover, more sales.

When I asked about this, several bookstore managers told me, “We can’t do that—books and movies are two different departments.”

Several years ago, I wrote the novelization to the Jude Law/Gwyneth Paltrow pulp adventure film, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. When walking into a Barnes & Noble or a Borders, customers would find the Sky Captain paperback in the book section, the Sky Captain DVD in the movie section, and the Sky Captain movie soundtrack in the music section…and there was no attempt whatsoever to cross promote. Doesn’t it make sense that the target audience for the Sky Captain novel and the Sky Captain soundtrack would be the same group of people who also like the Sky Captain movie? What principle of effective marketing advises sending customers on a scavenger hunt throughout the store to find related items they might not even know about?

I wrote a novel for DC Comics, The Last Days of Krypton, about the fall and destruction of Superman’s home planet, Krypton. At the same time, DC/Warner released a DVD animated movie, Superman: Doomsday about the death of Superman. The original movie got a lot of advertising and distribution, and I thought it would be an excellent and absolutely appropriate cross-marketing effort to include a small ad sheet for The Last Days of Krypton along with the DVD of Superman: Doomsday—and vice versa, advertise the new movie at the back of the novel. The origin of Superman, the death of Superman: It’s a natural. DC Comics and Warner video are owned by the same parent company, so it should have been easy.

When I asked about it though, I was told “We can’t do that, they’re two different departments.”

Even more obvious, why not advertise The Last Days of Krypton in the monthly issues of the Superman comics, since the comics have a much wider circulation. You couldn’t get a more obviously targeted audience. Didn’t happen. I saw ads for Starburst Fruit Chews and Pokemon gameboy games, but no ads for a Superman novel in the Superman comics.

When the three seasons of the original Star Trek were re-released on DVD, with impressive packaging and new material, it seemed like a no-brainer to insert a booklet featuring the numerous Star Trek novels, or even an ad card saying “If you enjoy Star Trek, have you read the novels?” Only a tiny subset of the huge Star Trek fan base reads the books. Why not widen the net? Why not try to appeal to a larger portion of the audience? Didn’t happen.

The X-Files was one of the most popular shows on television during the time I wrote three novels based on the series. Back then, millions and millions of people were buying TV Guide Magazine every week to look at the program listings for upcoming episodes. The publisher came up with an innovative idea of running an ad for my original X-Files novels on the TV Guide page that featured that week’s episode of the X-Files show. Although my books sold well over a hundred thousand copies in hardcover and became international bestsellers, the audience that watched the show every week—in other words, the exact group of people who might be interested in buying an X-Files novel—exceeded 18 million viewers. My novels might have been bestsellers, but we were reaching only about one percent of the X-Files audience. Why not go after the other 99 percent who weren’t yet buying the books (possibly weren’t even aware of them)? Even if casting a wider net captured only an additional 1% of the X-Files audience, we would have doubled our sales.

In the end, the publisher decided not to run the ads—too expensive.

How is the book industry to survive if they target only the customers they already have, rather than widening the net to attract the much larger pool of book buyers out there? Why not look for ways to cross-market to other potential readers who are entirely missed by the Usual Marketing Plan?

I recently completed an ambitious new fantasy trilogy, Terra Incognita, about sailing ships, sea monsters, and the crusades. There are plenty of fantasy trilogies on the bookshelves, and I felt confident the hardcore fantasy readership would find Terra Incognita among them. I was hoping to cast a wider net.

I know that the listeners of progressive-rock are very interested in fantasy and science fiction, by the very nature of the music; many of those are—or could be—book buyers, but they had no reason to pay attention to Terra Incognita rather than any other fantasy novel in the store. So, my wife and I wrote and produced two crossover Terra Incognita rock CDs released by ProgRock Records. Not only did this get my trilogy a lot of coverage in music magazines and pop-culture venues, it also gave prog-rock fans—an audience completely untouched by normal book-marketing methods—a reason to look for the books.

Going one step further, I am working with the record label that released the CDs—which already has a wide network for online distribution of their music titles—to make my ebook downloads available as well. An entirely different readership that might not currently be buying ebooks.

Today, if you walk into any Barnes & Noble or Borders, one of the first things you see is a large display and a helpful Customer Service person who wants to show off the nook or kobo e-reader. It makes perfect sense for the big chains to lock in their customers with their proprietary devices. But again, by talking just to the people who have already set foot in the store, they are not reaching beyond their existing customer base.

Selling ebooks only to the people who already buy traditional books demonstrates very narrow tunnel vision. This is a problem both for booksellers and for publishers.

And that’s why I was so interested to see the ad on the back of Outside Magazine. E-readers present an opportunity to sell books—electronic books, yes, but books nevertheless—to a much wider audience who might not walk into a bricks-and-mortar bookstore, or even take the time to shop for books online.

The business is in such turmoil, reports vary widely from week to week. According to some statistics, as many as 15,000 new e-readers are being activated each and every day—that’s 15,000 potential new customers ready to download an author’s books. And that number includes only those people who have bought a specific reading device. Let’s not forget that every person who purchased an iPad for other uses is also in possession of an e-reading device.

But wait, let’s go a step further and cast a net thousands of times wider. Every person with an iPhone, or Droid, or any other model of smartphone now owns an e-book reader. Why not dangle a carrot, try to interest them in reading a book for a while instead of playing Angry Birds? Maybe only 1% of them will do it…and that’s still millions upon millions of new customers. Why not partner with AT&T or Verizon, offer two free e-book downloads with every new phone activation, just to get the customer hooked?

The potential book-buying audience has suddenly increased by orders of magnitude. Is that opportunity slipping through the fingers of publishers and booksellers?

I’ve heard pundits say that the entire publishing industry is doomed due to changing times and technology. But that couldn’t be farther from the truth—if they learned to cast a wider net.

I have made a selection of my own novels and short stories available as ebooks for all electronic reader formats. You can browse the titles at wordfire.com
I've had a hard time getting past the second paragraph - folks who devise reading comprehension tests have proven
that if you insert just one word that is well above the known vocabulary-level of the subject, it totally screws up their
comprehension of the following sentences, even if those sentences themselves are simple; the brain locks up on the
unfamiliar word/concept, and while the eyes and whatever active section of the brain it is continues to scan the words
and send them on, the processing part of the brain is still stuck at "wait ... what ?"

something similar has happened here to me ... but, anyway ...
an ad for the Kindle isn’t such an extraordinary thing, but seeing it in a magazine devoted to hiking, backpacking, and the outdoors is what gave me pause. Somebody was thinking. It makes perfect sense: anyone on a days-long camping or backpacking trip would love to carry a lightweight, portable electronic reading device loaded with plenty of books
E-book readers have been available & evolving for over 20 years .... once Hewlett-Packard stopped their widened
LCD screens from exploding and showering the lab with that silver dust shit, they produced a number of dedicated
devices that accepted ROM plug-ins for text and diagrams in the early 1980s; it was obvious that would be the
future of "books", once the technology caught up with the ideas and a reasonable "product" could be marketed ...

now, of course, with the Amazon Kindle, the thing's gone "mainstream", but I think it'd be a safe bet to say that
most of us were aware (or owned) some type of "E-reader" ten to fifteen years ago ... certainly in the last ten
years, the concept has become commonplace ... the devices themselves were a little too expensive, and before
the real internet explosion, average people assumed there would be little "content" for those readers (they
were wrong, but just because until the mid-90s, most of the population was functionally computer illiterate ...)

but you know, for the love of the little baby jesus, My Idiot Brother got hisself a Kindle for Christmas last year ...

yet it never occurred to KEVIN J. ANDERSON, Master of Universes, Seer of the Future, AND quasi-SciFi product
producer, that someone, like a Hiker, which he CLAIMS TO BE, would find an E-reader a useful thing ....

"it’s the type of thinking outside the box"

these are the statements that make me question Keith's base-level intelligence;
no ... belay that ...
these are the statements that confirm my assessment of Keith's base-level intelligence,
which is somewhere above The Donald Trump but well below Junior Samples ...

but this is the "Stupid Shit" I can't get past:

as a guy who has huddled inside a tent next to a Coleman lantern
trying to read a battered old paperback and then tearing out the pages as I finished
and feeding them into a campfire, just to reduce the weight in my backpack

as a guy who has actually done a SHITLOAD of real camping, both modern and "primitive"
(and as a reluctant "guest" of the United States Army, but that shit could hardly be called "camping")
this is just so .... Palin-offspring-retarded, it makes my feet swell up ....

obviously, tearing out pages in a paperback book is not going to "reduce the weight" of a backpack;
and if he is SO concerned about his cargo load, why is he lugging a liquid-fuel lantern ? AND a tent?
and why would he have a petro-fuel based, fume-producing, extremely flammable lantern INSIDE the tent?
and WHERE is this campfire he is "feeding" the torn-out page into ? surely not inside the tent as well ?
(one would hope, but ....)

and ... if he has a campfire (presumably somewhere OUTSIDE the tent), why is he burning a lantern ?
why is he inside the tent at all? shouldn't he be OUTSIDE the tent, keeping a close watch on the campfire ?
so ... is he getting up and going outside the tent to feed each page into the fire as he tears them out,
or is he waiting until he has a stack, and then getting up and going outside ? if he is doing that, why doesn't
he just read the fucking book and toss it in the fire before he goes to sleep? or burn it in the morning?

WHY is he wasting fire-starting material like that in the first place? granted, I'm sure he has several BIC lighters,
and is most likely "camped" in a state park with "full facilities", within ear-shot of an interstate highway and a
Dairy Queen, but still ... an actual "camper", an "outdoorsman", an "adventurer", will always be prepared
for worse-case scenarios ... and paperback book pages are also VERY useful to have if you find yourself "hiking
a trail to the summit of a Fourteener" and start to shit yourself from the double-serving McDonald's breakfast,
and did not include toilet paper in your cargo ...

but of course, this whole scene is just horseshit ... he is trying to project an image of himself as John
MotherFucking Wayne, out in the wilderness, an intellectual and thoughtful man who brings along books to
stimulate his mind in the vast amphitheater of nature, tearing out each page as his mind absorbs their words,
"feeding" them to the fire in a ritualistic symbolic offering .... and shit like that there ...

not to mention that I'll bet he imagined himself in this scene like a Victorian Lord, in a huge chair before a
roaring fire, hounds at his feet, pulling pages of a folio out as he peruses them, letting them float down
from his hand into the fire, him never taking his eyes from the book ... but if it's a campfire, and he is
outside, dollars to doughnuts says the breeze catches the page as it floats on the updraft of the fire,
igniting its corners, blowing it aflame up and up and then down ... and down ... into the dry meadow
grass of the slope below, setting the hillside on fire, a blazing beacon of stupidity in the night, visible
all the way to the flatlands of Kansas, and burns hundreds of thousands of acres before it is contained ...
KUSA-TV Denver (9News.com) wrote: Raging Ely Hill wildfire now threatening Idaho Springs,
authorities blaming "asshole camper" ...
Details at ten, after The Game ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not to mention the totally deplorable idea of burning a book when it's not a matter of life and death. :roll:

Asshat. Pickle. Fucker. :snooty:
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Didn't we also hear somewhere that he's not all that into reading?

Yet another example of getting caught up in his lies for some type of dramatic effect that might show his fans how "hard" he adventures. This guy wouldn't last two days camping.

The take-away for me from this post was that he's willing to sell shit at any opportunity.

Put 'em next to the fruit snacks! Maybe we'll sell a few more!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

EXCELLENT deconstruction of TehKJA! Simply Beautiful. The idea of a higher level vocabulary word disrupting concentration is a great allusion to how I feel when I come across something in his books akin to the scene of tearing out pages to feed a fire (But to reduce weight) while reading by lantern light in a tent.

this whole blog entry was yet another proof that the S.S. Hackerjack is taking on water faster and faster.

"Poor Me. My books don't sell. They don't sell because other people won't sell them. I know they would sell, if more people knew about them! Poor Me!"

My reaction to the star wars bit:

Seller: "Hey, did you hear there is a new STAR WARS book coming out?"
Star Wars fan: 'Eh'

Seller: "Hey, did you hear there is a new STAR WARS book by Timothy Zahn coming out?"
Star Wars fan: 'Hmm' <interested shrug>

Seller: "Hey, did you hear there is a new STAR WARS book by Kevin J Anderson coming out?"
Star Wars fan: 'What? I thought they banned him from doing any more damage to that universe.'

Oh, and as a bookseller, yeah we do tie-in displays. Unfortunately, we ask someone familiar with the subject to do the display. If I'm doing one, I'm going to pick books that sell well.

As for "Last days of Krypton": Hey yeah, lets get this out there, I bet there are tons of Superman fans who'd like to read about the origin of Krypton. KJA: Why don't you put it next to the Superman Comics? DC: Welll, you see, comic readers don't like wordy books per se. That and the book is shit and we kinda don't want it associated too closely with one of our best selling series.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This kind of argument never holds up; you cannot fix problems this big with advertising. It just never works, and I'm surprised to see someone who things of himself as a visionary saying it. Advertising is for when you have a product people want. Books are on the decline, and e-readers are on the rise, which is why it makes sense to advertise them in non-traditional markets.

Dumbass.

And doesn't a lot of that stuff about Dune sound like a pitch he might have floated at the first HLP meeting he attended?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Also:

"Cast a wider net."

Used seven times.

SEVEN.

Apparently, it's the new "brainstorming."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, I tell you, he's floating a new title...

Dune: Casting of the Wider Tachyon Net! (You know, to git all them Scatterlings that Duncan needs to add to his Ultra-Imperium!)

Saga of Seven Suns: Nets Cast Wide! (To milk another moist fistful of dollars from the droolers who managed to make it to the end and still want more!)

Or just Dune: Nets Gone Wild! (Paul off on Buzzell on spring break? Falls in lust with a local hawty but is hospitalized with food poisoning—got some bad cholister stew—before he can consummate...)

:think:
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Reads like a guy who's more interested in the marketing of books, than the actual books themselves,
Like a guy who writes SF (including Dune) only because it's an established market, ready to be tapped, exploited and squeeeezed ,
Like a guy who's frustrated his books don't sell all that well...