Defense of the New Books

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

511/2

Post by SandRider »

Chig wrote:FH wrote his books in a less technologically blessed period.
That comment reminded me of my favorite picture of Frank, from about the same time period
(late 60s) as the one below. (I searched for it, but after several hundred pics, I decided it just
wasn't on the net (yet)). Frank was sitting in a big chair at a plain wooden table, piled with
books and papers, typing on an old manual. I remember thinking, damn, that's what
a writer looks like ....that's the image of Frank I've always had in my mind's eye ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

513/4

Post by SandRider »

Since it appears that Merritt is not going to delete this thread (curses !), Chig's right - it's turning into a Defense of the New Books ... or something ...

Over There > Paul of Dune > Errors in PoD // today
FanboyTomas wrote:And this is why new fans of Dune might be turned off by the negative approach of OH"s criticism of the new books. It is easier to destroy than to build. I need time to pick up Dune again for the OH's have soiled themselves and I can still smell them.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I love the utter contradictions.

This "fan" talks of KJA's work as "beauty of imperfection" like it's some great work of art that creates fine form from disparate elements. Yet, under different circumstances, those very same fans will defend the new book's lack of depth, prose and subtlety by saying KJA is just a different kind of writer that focuses more on grand action.

So which is it? It's all such double-talking bullshit.

It's like the infamous "Frank Herbert notes". They can be everything and they can also be nothing, all depending upon which argument needs to be won at the time they are mentioned :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Re: 511/2

Post by TheDukester »

SandRider wrote:I remember thinking, damn, that's what
a writer looks like ...
I've always pictured the truly great artists hiking around outside, exposing themselves to all the woodland critters, and, you know, just talking their books into a recorder.

I'm pretty sure that'd how Hemingway did it.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think he should try sculpting while hang gliding.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I think he should try sculpting while hang gliding.
or cut and paste while skydiving :twisted:
Or doing deep breathing meditation while deep sea diving.
Frybread

Re: 511/2

Post by Frybread »

SandRider wrote:
Chig wrote:FH wrote his books in a less technologically blessed period.
That comment reminded me of my favorite picture of Frank, from about the same time period
(late 60s) as the one below. (I searched for it, but after several hundred pics, I decided it just
wasn't on the net (yet)). Frank was sitting in a big chair at a plain wooden table, piled with
books and papers, typing on an old manual. I remember thinking, damn, that's what
a writer looks like ....that's the image of Frank I've always had in my mind's eye ....
Compare that image of Frank writing to the one of Brian typing on his laptop with Kevin looking over his shoulder.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think that's my favorite FH picture.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I like this one:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I like this one:

I think that was from his teaching days. Professors that looked like that always scared me for some reason I can't put my finger on.
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Looks like he would fit in working on a fishing boat, LOL.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:

I think that was from his teaching days. Professors that looked like that always scared me for some reason I can't put my finger on.
Yea, I got it from that online UW student's photoblog.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

519/10

Post by SandRider »

found the photo I was talking about - badly cropped, it doesn't
show the table or the big stuffed chair he's sitting in :
ImageImage

Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote:This shit basically goes here in this thread:
Simon on Dumb Novels wrote:I think that a lot of the positive stuff BH and KJA bring is unfairly overshadowed by sillier items like worm measurements not matching up. I'm saying that the Dune series is an imperfect work, yet despite this it is still a great story. I'm the sort of person who finds beauty in imperfection and this series is an excellent example of that "beauty of imperfection".
Nekhrun wrote:There is a thread somewhere around here about FH mistakes as well. It's not like we haven't pointed out and discussed those as well.
Simon wrote:No doubt. I just don't see them painted in the negative light that the new books find themselves in so often. When Frank leaves holes I tend to hear "Use your imagination", with the new stuff it's "A lack of respect for the legacy". I guess my point is that it seems less than even handed critique at times.
Because it's not the same thing, stupid.

(Beauty in imperfection? Jesus Eternal Effer of My Soul, it's not enough to be lodged up Kevin and Byron's bums, you have to have your head up your own as well? :roll: )

There's no excuse for an author ever making a mistake, period. That is true, unchanging till the end of time, end of story, don't anyone even fucking think of trying to argue the point.

But...

(1) The Duniverse and characters and concepts of the series were FH's to develop and change as HE saw fit, between books and over time.

(2) It wasn't feasible (probably still isn't) to go back and revise new editions of the older books to keep them in line with later changes.

(2) FH wrote his books in a less technologically blessed period. I for one am therefore more inclined to cut him a bit more slack on mistakes than someone who "writes" while traipsing about outside and has access to our modern word-processing technology.

There's also this from a character thread, on Bronso of Ix:
Simon wrote:Bronso of Ix: In DM he is a brief character, a "faceless" historian. He is used to quickly illustrate that the evolution of Paul's empire came to be based on Fremen zeal for his god head, rather than strict Atreides morality (not to say it isn't there but it is definitely diluted by the mass religious ferver).

With PoD I felt like BH and KJA really added a new shade of horror to that chapter. Everything FH wrote holds true, but you find that Bronso was the son of Rhombur, a great friend of the Atreides prior to Paul's ascent. Darkly demonstrating that no one is safe from Muad'dib's Jihad.
Oh, bullshit, Simon. It's just another example of their incomprehensible need to make everyone of any note in the Duniverse a friend or a relative or a lover or an inner-anal-inhabitant of everyone else in the Duniverse. Oh, gawd, yes, it's SO MUCH MORE FUCKING POIGNANT if we learn that Bronso and Paul knew each other somewhat as boys. Sheesh. :roll:
OK, so you didn't dig that bit. I did. To each his own I guess. I like that they made him into something, yes, more poignant.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm simply going to quote myself from another thread here:

And it will provide a touchstone by which we can know the idiot fanboys for the posers they are:

ANYONE WHO SWALLOWS THIS DEMOTION OF FRANK HERBERT'S WORK NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD OR TRULY LOVED DUNE EITHER.

(You evidently are supplying your own lubricant to help it go down. :roll: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I'm simply going to quote myself from another thread here:

And it will provide a touchstone by which we can know the idiot fanboys for the posers they are:

ANYONE WHO SWALLOWS THIS DEMOTION OF FRANK HERBERT'S WORK NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD OR TRULY LOVED DUNE EITHER.

(You evidently are supplying your own lubricant to help it go down. :roll: )
Tleilaxu Master B says spit works best. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Phlegm works best. It has the endurance you just don't get with saliva. Trust me, she'll appreciate it more :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Riiiiiight. Just what every incubator wants, a mass of questionable cellular matter pistoned into the ole hot box. :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

No wonder you dont have a girlfriend. Youre not supposed to loogie into the cooter.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:No wonder you dont have a girlfriend. Youre not supposed to loogie into the cooter.
I was just thinking what I would do if I was in bed with a woman and she went down there and I heard her trying to hack up a loogie.

I think I'd be out of there...
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

oooohhhh, that's not too bad. I've had worse. alot worse ...
ImageImage

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

My Chigga
Oh right, I'm trying to imagine what it was like for you way back in your youth when they had sex through sheets :)

Omphalos
Says the guy who posts toilets pictures :)

Freak Z
Wow, I can tell you missed out. My condolences :shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lame response. You should have said, "its not the cooter I'm loogieing into, vanilla."

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos wrote:Lame response.
You get what you give.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Lame response.
You get what you give.
No loogies in the cooter was sheer genius. I defy you to tell my why it wasnt. :P

Goodnight Golden Path!