Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Sandworms Quotes Showing Poor Writing - ATTN: REDBUGPEST

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Thanks TMB.

Pest - we're waiting. You KNOW you can't debate with me on these issues, because I'm RIGHT.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

One of your comments made me remember just how much *waiting around* characters did in this book. Gholas waited around until they got their memories back. Omnius and Erasmus waited around before either launching their ships or trying to capture the uber-KH.

It's like KJA and BH couldn't develop plot lines in parallel. While something happened to a bunch of characters, the others just recapped what they had done and thought about what they were going to do, waiting for their turn to have the authors give them something to do.

(Not that it made any difference. Most of the plot thread went nowhere in the end anyway).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Shameless Bump

Post by SandRider »

that makes less sense than any three other stupid things you've done combined ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

thats it? you arent going to reply to the topic because of the blatant bump by the dukester?

I agree with SR.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Facts are the enemy of truth.

Why should I bother saying anything? You are not really interested in any other opinion because yours is the only right one.

Post by SandChigger »

redbugpest wrote:Facts are the enemy of truth.

Why should I bother saying anything? You are not really interested in any other opinion because yours is the only right one.
Coward. You're just a lazy-assed coward, aren't you? You got nothing and you know it, so you're copping out.

BRAVO! Excellent performance! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

No,

You are the coward. You are afraid of having your preconceptions challenged.

Shift your paradigm, or don't. It's no matter to me.

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:... challenged.
"Challenged" by what, exactly?

You've brought nothing to any discussion here, despite literal pleas for you to post something in defense of your master's books.

Nothing. Not one single thing.

And now you're falling back on the tried-and-true "oh, you just won't listen" ploy, perfected by 12-year-olds around the globe.

You've got the weakest game I've seen in a long, long time, brother. Best run back to KJA's Oh-So-Very-Special-Forces now — I'm sure you're quite the big man over there.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

You got that right. It's why you look like such an idiot.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Nekhrun wrote:

No, the idiot you see is your reflection in the mirror,

You Know Who...you are.... :puke:

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:I'm just gonna ignore the hate mongers and zelots this go around...
So how is this working out for you, Bri-Bri?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Took you a while to figure that one out huh? You must feel very proud of yourself. Like I said, it's no secret. You've spend a fair amount of time trolling tonight but none actually trying to reconcile kja's writing to real Dune books. It's what this thread is about. May you suffer from severe knee pain.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

AND I just handed you your ass in Thing's thread. :D

Bring something beside bullshit to the table and actually challenge me. Show me I'm wrong and I'll admit it. Can you? ;)
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Nekhrun wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Took you a while to figure that one out huh? You must feel very proud of yourself. Like I said, it's no secret. You've spend a fair amount of time trolling tonight but none actually trying to reconcile kja's writing to real Dune books. It's what this thread is about. May you suffer from severe knee pain.
Sorry, but you are WRONG again, go check the other threads.

:crazy:

Post by Nekhrun »

redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

I have been, you haven't explained anything. In fact, your fucked up reasoning only raises more questions.

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote: :crazy:
I don't think you use this smiley nearly enough.
Schu

Post by Schu »

redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

AHAH get it, the "no I'm not, you are" defence (as perfected by 5 year olds across the globe)
lotek

Post by lotek »

oh pretty please let me have a go!

you talk a lot about mirrors, but can you stand in youfront of one and look at your reflection while you try to convince yourself there is the slightest thing in common between Frank Herbert's writing and KJA's?

I mean let be honest here, do you so desperatly need answers to Dune origins or follow up that you would accept anything that prevents you from using your imagination(yep that little thing that helps you come up with such good lines as "it takes one to know one")?
That was the strength of the series and FH's credo.

There is no Dune canon there is only your own capacity to delude yourself. C'mon! Cyborgs, ultraspice, gholas galore, water worms(!!), ...
What next benevolent alien races, time portals?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

redbugpest, contact the Admins ASAP as it appears your account has been hijacked by a stupid 8 year old.

redbugpest, contact the Admins ASAP as it appears your account has been hijacked by a stupid 8 year old.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

ZING! :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

redbugpest wrote:No,

You are the coward. You are afraid of having your preconceptions challenged.

Shift your paradigm, or don't. It's no matter to me.
Just so you know, I went into the new Dune novels with NO preconceptions. I had never heard of the online community, nor read anything else by either author other than that when I was very young I read the book BH wrote with his father.

Within PAGEs I was dissapointed, within the first chapter I was ready to cry. By the end of Hunters I was upset. Very upset. Then I found out that a lot of people agreed with me, and I started talking to ease the pain.
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I dont like the way the word opinion scropping up.

This isnt an opinion question, most of those on this site arent.

I have evidence that the new books are inferior, im showing it to you, im asking you to critique it.

An opinion would be "does the inconsistiences, change of style and general lowering of the quality of the books bother you?" Answer: your opinion.

Most of the comments directed at RBP and KJA are clear facts, with evidence, of inferior writing/science. It's not an opinion if you refuse to acknowledge them, its stupidity or ignorance.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I agree.

However, I think the opinion questions have bearing on the fact questions.

If the inconsistencies and poor writing don't bother you, you're more forgiving. You're prepared to look for ways for the inconsistencies to be explained, and are prepared to accept others' explanations more readily (if you need them explained at all). If the writing and inconsistencies bother you, you're more likely to point them out and resist explanations that aren't in the text.

That's why I think a lot of the pro-KJA crowd fall back to an "opinion" or "if you don't like the books, don't read them" line of argument. We don't like the books because they are written poorly and have inconsistencies. They don't mind the bad writing and gloss over/explain away inconsistencies because they like the books.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

I half agree, preek ive encountered thus far do find it hard to separate "i like it" from "its good, and scientifically accurate". However, to use "i like it" as your motivation for trying to justify what are clearly errors and inconsistencies is wrong.

Even without the analysis of the actual words, just describing summaries of the plots "Paul goes away with space gypsies" and "machines like the terminator from the dawn of time come back and threaten all of humanity".... they just dont FEEL dune. I think they've given up trying to pretend they are now.