Winds of Dune: a complete non-event

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Winds of Dune: a complete non-event

Post by TheDukester »

A "complicated" day? What does that mean in English, I wonder? :crazy:

Seriously, Kevin, way to make your alleged writing partner sound like a complete loon. Christ on a crutch.

+++++

(Complicated = "had a couple of drinks"? Oh, come on, I'm not the only one who thinks that ...)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You know, I honestly didn't even consider that. :shock:

I must be slipping. Time for bed! :D
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Ranked #27 on the Sci Fi bestsellers at Amazon after a week is not exactly a "Non Event"

Post by Frybread »

redbugpest wrote:Ranked #27 on the Sci Fi bestsellers at Amazon after a week is not exactly a "Non Event"

Sure it is, compared to the fanfare for the other books. It's a downward trend.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:Ranked #27 on the Sci Fi bestsellers at Amazon after a week is not exactly a "Non Event"
Yes, it is. Once again, you are trying to play the expert; once again, you are failing.

A new "Dune" book, released eight days ago, being supported by the two authors on tour, two official blogs, an author's Twitter page, and various other marketing pushes from Tor/McMillen, should not be in the low-20s. Sandworms, for example, was #1 in that very category two years ago.

Beyond that, though, Jessica Has Wind has a breathtakingly low overall ranking. I flat-out guarantee you that Hunters, Sandworms, and Paul never fell into the hundreds until a few weeks had passed. This dog is already approaching #500!

I'm pretty sure I know what those meetings at Tor were about ... :think:

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Sev

Post by Sev »

You're kidding, right? It's ONLY placed at #27 in the first week of its release, below such other recent releases as Slaughterhouse Five, 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451!!! Not exactly a blockbuster...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
Yes, it is. Once again, you are trying to play the expert; once again, you are failing.

A new "Dune" book, released eight days ago, being supported by the two authors on tour, two official blogs, an author's Twitter page, and various other marketing pushes from Tor/McMillen, should not be in the low-20s. Sandworms, for example, was #1 in that very category two years ago.

Beyond that, though, Jessica Has Wind has a breathtakingly low overall ranking. I flat-out guarantee you that Hunters, Sandworms, and Paul never fell into the hundreds until a few weeks had passed. This dog is already approaching #500!

I think this post says it best - FAIL.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
TheDukester wrote:

I think this post says it best - FAIL.
+1
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Sev wrote:

You're kidding, right? It's ONLY placed at #27 in the first week of its release, below such other recent releases as Slaughterhouse Five, 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451!!! Not exactly a blockbuster...
Not a "Non Event" either.

But go ahead and think that if it makes you feel better....

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:But go ahead and think that if it makes you feel better....
Um ... hey, genius? You're the one who felt the need to respond.

So who is it, exactly, who's looking to "feel better"?
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I'll bite.
redbugpest wrote:
Sev wrote:

Not a "Non Event" either.

But go ahead and think that if it makes you feel better....
I'll let semanics be semantics and not say WoD is a non-event, but wouldn't any objective view of it's sales at this point put it's performance be far below expectations, esp. considering previous books in the series. Financially, it is a failure. Here, we also believe those of us that have had the stomach to read it, or any part of it, or the book that preceded it (PoD not DM) that it is also a failure as Literature.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I AGREE!!! It IS an event .. one to be forgotten next week faster then a crashing airplane with BoBo on board when the atrocity plummets down the list. SWOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSH!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

The only non-event here is connie's impotence. But the cure is just one short phone call away, sweetie :romance-kisscheek: :romance-wub: :romance-hearteyes:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

"Breaking Wind of Dune" is now at #520 on Amazon.com, just FYI.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Frybread wrote:"Breaking Wind of Dune" is now at #520 on Amazon.com, just FYI.
Led Zeppelin RULES! :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Frybread

Post by Frybread »

Now at #562.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Lawl!

It's like watching a very sloooooooooow train wreck.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

TheDukester wrote:Lawl!

It's like watching a very sloooooooooow train wreck.
It's like watching a very slow train wreck that you've been having prescient dreams about. You already knows what happens, yet you can't look away...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
HoryThory

Post by HoryThory »

Some tool over at dumbnovels just posted something about The Winds flatulating all over the New York Times list. Who gives a rat's ass?
Image"One tended to believe power could overcome any barrier . . . including one's own ignorance."
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

HoryThory wrote:Some tool over at dumbnovels just posted something about The Winds flatulating all over the New York Times list. Who gives a rat's ass?
Good question... So why you bringing it up?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

The NYT Bestseller list is based off of pre-orders, not actual sales.

Paul of Dune 'debuted' at #11.

Winds of Dune 'debuted' at # 15

Booksellers ordered less of this title, probably from less than stellar hopes for sales.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Fuckers got some advance notice; the NYT site is yet to be updated.

So, #15? I'm pretty pleased by that. It's almost sure to be off the list next week (remember, the Times groups everything from 16-35 in one big "yeah, whatever" type of grouping).

And, yes, Paul debuted at #11. It was off the list pretty quickly, too; we have a big thread devoted to just that topic.

What's really interesting is that Sandworms opened up at #4. From 4 to 15 in two books ... I'd call that a bit of a slide. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, and Kevin J. Anderson Twitter and blog posts coming in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

DuneFishUK wrote:KJA brings his own magic.

With Jazz Fingers!

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

If he asks, don't pull one. And for god's sake, never sniff! :shock:

Nothing yet on Twatter. He's probably full out busy busy busy busy busy!!!! ;)

(Gor, I do love holidays! :P )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"