Another Musical Instrument Question

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Demerzel

Re: Another Musical Instrument Question

Post by Demerzel »

If you want some really emotional melodic vocals, check out the band In Mourning. Relatively new.
When Paul was three I found him wearing lingerie I was planning to wear for my Duke. I asked him: "How can this be?" and he answered: "For I am the Kwisatz Haderach!" I was proud since these were the first words Paul ever spoke, but now I knew for certain that my Paul was a special boy. I brought him to Duncan's room while he was busy "training" a young maidservant in the Art of Sword-Handling. My Paul shall be the best! - Tleszer
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Here is my Peavey Guitar and the big amp that came with it --it's technically a bass amp, a Fender Rumble 100, but it still works with guitar.

EDIT: Damn the picture won't upload. I have it on iPhoto, but it's not on the internet or anything...

Christmas is coming up, and I'm probably going to ask for one of those better guitars I mentioned, so far, I think I want a semi-acoustic. I'm going to a guitar store to try out all of their semi-acoustics, they have some nice Ibanez ones that look pretty good, and some crazy expensive Gretschs that I want to play to see what they're like. The Ibanez AF75 is looking good especially.

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I heard that Ibanez described as "the Gretsch White falcon for the common man", and the Gretsch Falcon is essentially my favorite guitar I've encountered so far, and AToE already mentioned Ibanez hollowbodies as being pretty good, so that's looking like the one.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

That whole series from Ibanez is some of the best quality per $$ I've ever seen, hands down, and I work for a company that stocks hundred and hundred and hundreds of guitars.

Just a tip though, just call them "hollowbodies", they're not really known as semi-accoustic. Thinline ones are the ones I prefer myself, sounding a bit closer to a normal solidbody.

Glad you're enjoying playing, that's the main thing. Always remember - most of your tone comes from your hands, not your instrument... I'm having a hard time getting that through to the guitarist I'm recording right now!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Yeah, playing the instrument alot and enjoying it is the easy part...getting a band together with three other extremely unreliable teenagers is the annoying part.
A Thing of Eternity

It's never easy, and then even when you have a good band going it's like a marriage between 3-5+ people rather than just two, it's challenging at the best of times.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Demerzel wrote:Oh wow I'm pathetic :P. Need to look a bit more.

But brilliant isn't it :wink:
Love your avatar! :lol:
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:It's never easy, and then even when you have a good band going it's like a marriage between 3-5+ people rather than just two, it's challenging at the best of times.
Haha, been there and done that. It's amazing that any band can get along long enough to get quality music done.
A Thing of Eternity

I think it involves a lot of turning your brain off and letting shit slide!
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

This is what I decided on to ask for for Christmas. Looks awesome, and its one inch thinner than the AF75, which feels more like an acoustic, while this one basically feels like a really light Les Paul. The tone is more suited to rock, and less to blues and jazz, so that's good too.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I worked for a summer at a graphics arts firm for my first guitar:

(mine was black)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was 14, it was $800
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I'd like to teach myself to play guitar, or maybe I'll take guitar lessons. Anyway, I've been wondering about the best way to go about this. I'm looking to buy an acoustic guitar, but don't want to spend a lot of money. Thoughts, anyone?
I bring nothing to the table.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Eight-hundred dollars is a lot of money- to me.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Eight-hundred dollars is a lot of money- to me.
Imagine how much it was to a 14-year-old in 1984.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Whoa. A co-worker told me I could go to a guitar shop and get an acoustic for about $100, but what can I expect for that price? I need some advice.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

JustSomeGuy wrote:Whoa. A co-worker told me I could go to a guitar shop and get an acoustic for about $100, but what can I expect for that price? I need some advice.
Wal-Mart quality.

I haven't played for a while but there are guys here that can give you excellent advice.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I'll be waiting. Thank you.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

For $200 you could get a decent acoustic.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... e=3WWRWXGB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Don't start with an electric guitar.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

For under $250 pretty much everything out ere is going to be plywood. You can get a decent starter made out of plywood though. Just go fiddle around at a guitar shop and take someone you know to listen from a different perspective (and I don't mean a philosophical perspective. I mean from like 5 or 6'feet away). I just bought my kid a $300 Takamine, and it sounds great.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I just had to log back in. Freakzilla, Omphalos- thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to spend too much money- because I don't have much money! The thing is, I've always wanted to play guitar, but, well, you know... Excuses. I used to have dreams in which I was playing guitar (and could do no wrong!), but those dreams have stopped. I'd like to get to the point where I can play whatever I want, and time is not really an issue.
I remember meeting this guy who had been teaching himself to play guitar. At some point I asked him to play the guitar a certain way- and he did it! It sounded so beautiful!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It'll take a year before you can play a recognizable song. (Besides Smoke on the Water or Paranoid.)
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Get a decent method book and you can be playing 12 bar blues in a few days. Once you learn how to make a few badass sounding chords you will be inspired.

If I were you I'd look at second hand shops. If you live in a warm place there will be all kinds of them that sell dead old people cast offs. I found my firs three mandolins in second hand shops and they were all decent. Try Craigslist too i just bought a great $100 betaer Mando off CL for hotel traveling, so's I won't have to take an expensive one with me when I travel for work.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What kind of music do you like?
~Pink Snowman