Music Tastes

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

If you love Jimi (or many other 60's era music acts) you absolutely MUST see the The Monterey Pop DVD set. It chronicles the very first Montery Pop Festial in 1967, including the first major appearance of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and The Who. It also features amazing performances by Ravi Shankar and Otis Redding. The amazing documentary footage of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin give you just a taste of what it was like to see them live. The footage is astounding.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Spicelon wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:<<<~~~~do I look like I listen to country?
Neil Young is country?! The dude can wail on the axe better than most
wannabe thrash rockers.
I guess I'd call Neil Young "Folk-Rock"? I consider The Eagles to be country.

Not all Southern Men are rednecks.

That country "twang" sound just seems to hit a raw nerve in my spine, everything goes black, and the world explodes...

I grew up listening to "oldies", The Beatles, Beach Boys, Elvis, the stuff my parents listened to. Then I graduated to "Classic Rock" in my early teens with mainly Led Zeppelin, then "Hard Rock" and "Heavy Metal" in my later teen years such as Van Halen, AC/DC, Ozzy, Iron Maiden. I dabled a little in punk (Sex Pistols) but just for the shock value, I didn't find that much musical talent there. In my early twenties I listened to a lot of "Alternative" like RHCP, Faith No More, Bad Brains, Nirvana, etc...

Throw the Beasty Boys in there to broaden my horizons a little.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Neil Young has done country, just like he has done stadium rock, rock-n-roll, folk, heavy metal, etc. He has done it all, like Springsteen has.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I have nothing against country music. Well, that's not entirely true. I have
no time or patience for the pop country that's prevalent these days. But
when I think of Neil Young, versatile though he is, country doesn't come to
mind.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

My original comment on Neil Young was in reference to his song "Southern Man" and Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama".

Omph quoted some of the lyrics from "Southern Man" above.

From "Sweet Home Alabama":

Well, I heard Mr. Young sing about her
Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern Man don't need him around anyhow

There's just not a lot of love for Neil around here.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Oh I know all about that - those songs are always listed whenever there's
talk about "answer" songs. Personally I think it's much ado about nothing.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
Spicelon wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:<<<~~~~do I look like I listen to country?
Neil Young is country?! The dude can wail on the axe better than most
wannabe thrash rockers.
I guess I'd call Neil Young "Folk-Rock"? I consider The Eagles to be country.

Not all Southern Men are rednecks.

That country "twang" sound just seems to hit a raw nerve in my spine, everything goes black, and the world explodes...

I grew up listening to "oldies", The Beatles, Beach Boys, Elvis, the stuff my parents listened to. Then I graduated to "Classic Rock" in my early teens with mainly Led Zeppelin, then "Hard Rock" and "Heavy Metal" in my later teen years such as Van Halen, AC/DC, Ozzy, Iron Maiden. I dabled a little in punk (Sex Pistols) but just for the shock value, I didn't find that much musical talent there. In my early twenties I listened to a lot of "Alternative" like RHCP, Faith No More, Bad Brains, Nirvana, etc...

Throw the Beasty Boys in there to broaden my horizons a little.
Bad Brains is about as punk as it gets, until they smoked too much weed and went regae. Faith No More... well, they're just about the greatest band of that era, fucking great. :D
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I pretty much just liked "I Against I", I never got into Bad Brains' reggae stuff. They had too much talent for me to consider them Punk.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I pretty much just liked "I Against I", I never got into Bad Brains' reggae stuff. They had too much talent for me to consider them Punk.
Zing! Ouch on behalf of the punk rockers of the world :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I pretty much just liked "I Against I", I never got into Bad Brains' reggae stuff. They had too much talent for me to consider them Punk.
Really, I have nothing against punk, I appreciate it for what it is. If have just always appreciated the more technical musicians. It seems all you need is a lot of angst to have a successfull punk band but not anyone can be an Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes or Neil Peart.

(Forgot to mention Rush!)
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
Really, I have nothing against punk, I appreciate it for what it is. If have just always appreciated the more technical musicians. It seems all you need is a lot of angst to have a successfull punk band but not anyone can be an Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes or Neil Peart.

(Forgot to mention Rush!)
Agreed. All bow to Rush (I actually have some issues with Peart's drumming, fantastic though he is).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I actually have some issues with Peart's drumming, fantastic though he is).
Such as?
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Peart is one of the best fucking drummers ever. All of those guys are masters of their instruments.

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:(I actually have some issues with Peart's drumming, fantastic though he is).
Such as?
Hehe... I guess those were fighten words to a lot of people. Touchy subject, but while I think he is a really good all round drummer I think his fills are pretty repetitive and predictable. For all the skill that guy has almost every fill is a straight roll starting on the snare or highest tom and straight down the rest of the toms - or some variation of this classic fill. He very rarely does any really unique complicated fills like you'd hear from other prog drummers. Also, his drum solos are pretty boring compared to other greats.

That said - I think that fills are much less important than beats, and he owns beats. His are some of the best I've ever heard, they groove when the should and don't when they shouldn't, and they always suit the part.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The first Drum solo I heard of his was YYZ on Exit Stage Left, and I was REALLY stoned at the time.

Needless to say, it blew my mind.

Rush has some very odd time signatures if I remember correctly.
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Freakzilla wrote:My original comment on Neil Young was in reference to his song "Southern Man" and Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama".

I hate Lynyrd Skynyrd(well, sort of. I like the Ballad of Curtis Loew.). And I hate Sweet Home Alabama. With a passion.

That song is more played than the Star Spangled Banner in this state. It's not a song anymore, just a piece of shit that makes lots of stupid people happy.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Phaedrus wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:My original comment on Neil Young was in reference to his song "Southern Man" and Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama".

I hate Lynyrd Skynyrd(well, sort of. I like the Ballad of Curtis Loew.). And I hate Sweet Home Alabama. With a passion.

That song is more played than the Star Spangled Banner in this state. It's not a song anymore, just a piece of shit that makes lots of stupid people happy.
I consider them "Country" too and don't like them either. IMO "Southern Rock" is a sub-genre of "Country".
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:The first Drum solo I heard of his was YYZ on Exit Stage Left, and I was REALLY stoned at the time.

Needless to say, it blew my mind.

Rush has some very odd time signatures if I remember correctly.
Yeah, they have some odd time sigs like 7/8 and other strange goodies.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:

I consider them "Country" too and don't like them either. IMO "Southern Rock" is a sub-genre of "Country".
No way should it come under the auspices of country. Just because they talk about country stuff doesnt mean that it has the same musical sensibilities. And bands like The Black Crows still rock, even if they cant write anything new. And that whole southern rock thing in the 70's came more from blues than anything else.

Buty I will give you that Syknyrd should go away.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think the Black Crows really fits in the "Southern Rock" genre, I'd just call them "Rock".

If the singer whines and has a southern accent, it's country.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think the Black Crows really fits in the "Southern Rock" genre, I'd just call them "Rock".

Ah country, the only Genre that young boys going through puberty actually can sing better. :D

Then again, I listen to music where the bulk of the vocals are completely dissonant, so my tastes may be a bit questionable. :wink:
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Freakzilla wrote:I don't think the Black Crows really fits in the "Southern Rock" genre, I'd just call them "Rock".

Ah country, the only Genre that young boys going through puberty actually can sing better. :D

Then again, I listen to music where the bulk of the vocals are completely dissonant, so my tastes may be a bit questionable. :wink:
If I can't hear the words, I'm not interested.

I can't remember the last time I liked music that was popular/hip/cool. Maybe the 80's.

I can still totally groove out on cheesy 80's retro music. Maybe some
Simple Minds, followed by Tears for Fears, some old REM and U2, a splash
of B-52's, a little Morrissey...I'm there.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OMG! Morrissey whines almost as bad as a country singer! :lol:

Someone give that guy some anti-depressants!
~Pink Snowman
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Morrissey is a "guilty pleasure." I'm sure we all have them.

<country club laughter>
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

My guilty pleasure is the Gilmore Girls. My wife made me watch that thing with her, and at first I dreamed only of being the filling in a giant hoagie with both of those chicks as the bread, but after a while I started liking the thing.

Did anybody see that episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip where the actress who played Lorelai was the guest. The Chandler guy handed her a piece of paper and said "here's my number," and started to walk away and turned and said, "and if you want to share it with that little girl who playes your daugher, well......" :lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!