The HLP: many are HERBERTS

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Spice Grandson wrote:

I feel nauseated after reading this tripe.
Is that what the advanced reading group said about Paul of Dune?

I know Nebby's posts can be a bit gushy, but calling them tripe is a bit harsh.
orald

Post by orald »

Mandy wrote:Oh I saw the posts you are probably referring to but Orald posts for shock value to get a laugh. You are the internet representative for the HLP, it would probably be a good idea to develop a thicker skin.
Yea, I don't really think Brian is adopted or someone else's get, not really.

I think he's an alien doppelganger! ZOMG the invasion has begun! :shock:

*We need a scared smiley too*
Last edited by orald on 11 May 2008 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, the Mouth That Roared has returned. And dared post somewhere besides the beer thread! :shock:

I've said it before: there were other ways to increase sales of Frank's books and introduce them to a new generation of readers BESIDES publishing low quality pulp crap under the Dune name. Especially co-(or mostly?)authored by someone like Kevin James Anderson.

You've admitted yourself that your board members have exercised no editorial control whatsoever over the content of the new books. You left the choice of writing partner completely up to Brian and have essentially let them write what they wanted. (What Kevin wanted?) The last time I asked, you seemed rather vague on the contents of the famous Outline and said you didn't have a copy of your own...all of which implies that you have no idea what your grandfather really had in mind for "Dune 7" and that you're just going along with what they say.

And if that's true, then you're just a bogus yes-man and as far as I'm concerned your opinion doesn't count for much.

Isn't it about time you Herberts grew a pair or two and did something original again? Tell Kevin to go tenderly fuck himself and release the ouline. Let people know what Frank Herbert really intended for his last Dune book.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:Especially co-(or mostly?)authored by someone like Kevin James Anderson.
Ever since I found out his middle name you can't stop using it, can you? :)
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Spice Grandson wrote:Have you seen the increase in sales of Frank Herbert's original series (Amazon, etc.)? And the fact that a new movie deal has been struck? And that publishers are now re-releasing the original series in hardcover again? And that many of Frank's non-Dune books have been re-released, too? So exactly how does that equate to not keeping Frank's worlds alive?
You don't think the same could've been accomplished and more with the release of some mindful works that not only keep Frank's novels alive, but further the causes he wrote about?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just as has been shown in the crap books they've been squatting out for the last decade, it seems they're basically suffering from a lack of imagination.

They could have:

1. Issued a concordance. (A real one, not just something they flap their mouths about and list in bibliographies of other books.)

2. Issued a REAL Dune Encyclopedia.

3. Issued a book of the chapters and passages cut from Dune and the other novels; variant chapters and endings, FH's correspondence with publishers (or famous scientists?)...The Road to Dune, in other words, without the crap.

4. Gotten publishers to issue anniversary editions of the books. (Just as they did in reality.)

I'm sure there were other things they could have done. But what they did do must have been easier.

Ah, that ole easy road....
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

I smell flame bait...
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Just another random thought:

They seem to think we should respect them just because they are Herbert/Merritts and own the legal rights to FH's legacy.

That's bullshit.

Frank Herbert earned our respect by what he did, the love and effort he put into his works.

If they want more than just our money, they will have to do the same.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Spice Grandson wrote:I smell flame bait...
You smell. Period.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I didn't really expect you to answer any questions, thanks for meeting my expectations :wink:
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Mandy wrote:
I didn't really expect you to answer any questions, thanks for meeting my expectations :wink:
You're welcome.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yup. Slow indeed. And since it's a slow Sunday for me, why not discuss a tangent on the subject of slowness? :)

A question to those that still visit Deadnovels: has the board become stale? If there has been as much "escalating response" happening there as you've all previously described, the board might have been moderated into a wonderful, calm and pleasant state of intolerable, paralytic mediocrity. Has it reached that state yet? Just curious, since the subject's "popped up" :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Spice Grandson wrote:The Herbert family loved and respected Frank. Many a Thanksgiving was spent at his home in Port Townsend with everyone gathered. Even I, in my childhood, talked with Frank about Dune items.

Our goal is to keep Frank's vision alive. It deserves it. It doesn't deserve the trash that has spilled forth on this thread, that's for sure.

I feel nauseated after reading this tripe.
Brian and Kevin are keeping Frank's legacy alive by putting out there that their purpose is to correct Frank's mistakes, completely change the tone of the Dune saga, and tell stories that Frank never would have wanted told? How noble.

And would you kindly shut the fuck up about how your uncle and his butt buddy have awakened a bunch of morons to FH's words. Very few of them understand what FH was writing anyway, so that doesn't count. Besides, hiring a good writer would have accomplished that to an even greater degree, and proven that you respect the books enough to treat them like something other than an ATM.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

orald wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Especially co-(or mostly?)authored by someone like Kevin James Anderson.
Ever since I found out his middle name you can't stop using it, can you? :)
I always thought the "J" stood for "Judas."

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Just as has been shown in the crap books they've been squatting out for the last decade, it seems they're basically suffering from a lack of imagination.

They could have:

1. Issued a concordance. (A real one, not just something they flap their mouths about and list in bibliographies of other books.)

2. Issued a REAL Dune Encyclopedia.

3. Issued a book of the chapters and passages cut from Dune and the other novels; variant chapters and endings, FH's correspondence with publishers (or famous scientists?)...The Road to Dune, in other words, without the crap.
Neither one of them are smart enough to put something like that together. Can you imagine how that would read?
The Idiot Brothers wrote:"Evidents shows that Frank Hrebert intended for the word "ghola" to sound like "ghoul" citation. Isn't that creepy boys and girls? According to something we read on Wikipedia, they were all over the place in the last two books. citation. They had a plot to take all over the world. I mean, the universe. citation. But really, by the end of the "saga," (and by "saga," I mean book seven (and eight)) nothing that Frank had their masters doing amounted to shit. citation.
Geez. Now that I think about it, thank god for small favors.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

if you dont like flame bait then quit posting it ........ oh..and btw ....since when did Taz get your account info and start posting under your name...i dont remember Byron's post being this bad....but it has been a while
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Like your grandfather used to tell you..."Shut up, Byron." :D
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I still hold that the HLP's motivation is really exactly what Mr. Merritt is claiming: they want to keep ol' Frank's legacy alive, and they want to see more Dune books written. As we know, the HLP only has one metric: number of books sold.

It's really not about the money, guys. The HLP is either willfully ignorant to what they're doing, or they're just blind to the reality of the situation. As long as their motives are pure, there's no sin, right?

I just can't believe they're malicious or angry enough to intentionally commit fraud on how ever many readers they happen to have, just for the pittance that they're surely getting from publishers or whoever.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

I knew you would arrive here eventually, you magnificent bastard.

Can we hope for candid, anonymous, "frank" conversation?

8)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You magnificent bastard....

Oh, shit, what's that from? :?

Magnolia? :P
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Patton!

Goodnight Golden Path!
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Omphalos wrote:Patton!
"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I READ YOUR BOOK!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:Patton!
One of my favorite flicks when I was six, I would go around quoting it.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, of course.

I think I've seen a few minutes of that one....

(Not really big on war flix.)
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I skipped most of what Byron and the all you other guys are debating on this thread, but when I initially started this thread, I was looking for an answer to how this all came to be. I saw several possible scenarios. But few of you have really answered me.

When you guys attack the authors of the new Dune novels and the HLP, It seems to imply that the fans knew Frank Herbert better than the Herberts or that (in the present anyway) the fans now know more about the Herberts than Frank ever did after reading the new books. This is absolutely NOT true.

You refuese to aknowledge that either Frank would feel betrayed (if he would not stand for what has become of Dune) or that he is happy that his son is a success at earning a living with what he left behind (If he is happy with the new books) This is contradicting!

Frank should have known something like this would happen. Before he died there was already a Dune film released, there was the Dune Encyclopedia and even a Dune board game. All released BEFORE he died. He knew Brian aspired to be a writer and even co-wrote one book with his son.

What I do know is that Frank Herbert wrote novels that had meaning. He valued his work and wanted people to learn from them. But he also wanted to leave behind something for his children and grandchildren.

So here are again some possible scenarios:

a. Frank Herbert was a loner and was close only to his wife Beverly. He was hardly aware of the people around him and spent more time writing novels. In this case, he would not forsee that his son would do what he has been doing since 1999. And he would indeed feel that his family has BETRAYED him.

b. Frank was close to his family and accepted them for all their flaws. He knew that what has happened was POSSIBLE (He cannot see the future, but he could see the possibility). In this case he would be proud and happy for his son even though the quality of the books are low.

c. Frank knew he could not trust anybody with his work. That is why he put his Dune 7 outline in a saftey deposit box (after all, he DID value his work) but it did not stop Brian from finding it. In this case he would be mildly dissapointed, because while some fans will not truly get the right message out of Dune, some still will despite the new books. This is one most here should agree with.

d. Despite Frank's genius, he did not know his son would do this but did not consider his family members stupid. He knew them well (exept maybe his gay son Bruce) and loved them. But even in this scenario, he would either feel betrayed or proud of Brian.

All I am asking is either a nod of argeement with something I said, or give me your own recollection of how things went. But any way you look at it, it's either Frank would be proud or feel betrayed. Or as c. suggests: mildly dissapointed.