FIRST ENCOUNTER New Book bi KJA

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

KJA

FIRST ENCOUNTER New Book bi KJA

Post by KJA »

I just wanted to share with our Dune community that I am just finishing the final polishes on the manuscript for Batman/Superman: FIRST ENCOUNTER, which is due out in fall 2009.

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Illogical Banana

Post by Illogical Banana »

Are you still giving your books away for free since no one will buy them?
“But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
BH

Post by BH »

I forget. Is my name going to be on the cover of this one two? That'would be cool if I could get another publishment credit.
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
KJA

Post by KJA »

Illogical Banana wrote:Are you still giving your books away for free since no one will buy them?
I give books away to help preserve and spread the Herbert legacy. If you would like to contribute to our efforts please forward your mailing address and I will send you a free copy of any of the dozens of novels I have written.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hey, Comb-Over, you typed new book BI KJA. I just thought you were a closet case, I didn't realise you were bi.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
orald

Post by orald »

chanilover wrote:I just thought you were a closet case, I didn't realise you were bi.
They let anyone into the club nowdays... :|
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
KJA

Post by KJA »

chanilover wrote:Hey, Comb-Over, you typed new book BI KJA. I just thought you were a closet case, I didn't realise you were bi.
No, no, no! How many times do I have to repeat myself. :evil:

I read into the recorder then my typist transcribes then Uncle Mike posts on the web.
orald

Post by orald »

I bet they did it on purpose to humiliate you for that thing you made them do and film the other night.
You should fire both.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Uncle Mike should definitely get the axe. :roll:

(Byron, this stuff really isn't that hard. I basically taught myself. You're not stupid, you can do it. Kick the Andersons out.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Hey Kevin mind giving us a preview?

Kevin J. Anderson, bestselling author of the Dune prequels and esteemed judge of the Writers of the Future Contest will join us at the Writers of the Future Forum, tomorrow, Tuesday, June 24, at 6.30 pm Pacific Standard Time.

Kevin will be discussing such topics as:
- Work Habit
- Characterization in speculative fiction
- Submitting to the Contest
- Building a plot

He will also answer general questions from anybody interested in submitting to the Writers of the Future Contest or simply about getting published and starting a career as a writer.

You can sign up for the forum now to get familiar with the topics being discussed and can start posting right away.
To sign up and join the discussion, go here:

Best regards,
Peter Breyer
Galaxy Press
7051 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028

P.S.: Join the forum now and get into the discussion with Kevin J. Anderson on Tuesday, 24 June at 6:30 pm PST! Click on the button above or go to www.writersofthefuture.com.
P.P.S.: To get the ever-popular Writers of the Future Book Package for new writers with a FREE eBook from Kevin J. Anderson CLICK HERE.

Rob
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Holy shit, Batman! :shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

From the "General Questions" thread:
KJA wrote:
Kang wrote:What author(s) were your biggest influences when you started writing? What are some of your favorite authors today?
I loved reading Ray Bradbury when I was in high school, and I really enjoyed Frank Herbert's books -- ALL of them -- so it's quite an honor for me to be working with his son and his notes to do more Dune novels.

today, some of my favorite authors are Larry McMurtry, Martin Cruz Smith, Mario Puzo [*everybody* should read LONESOME DOVE, GORKY PARK, and THE GODFATHER], and in the SF field I like Dan Simmons, Peter Hamilton, alastair Reynolds, Orson Scott Card.
Yes, it's quite an honor to be allowed, no, encouraged to destroy something wonderful with your own paltry additions. I can just imagine. :roll:

And, yes, he certainly does like those other authors...they're his best source of ideas! :lol:

(This is going to be a goldmine of quotes, I can tell already!)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I signed up but the fucking admin hasn't approved my account damnit!

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Alas, and this is no joke, I can *write* a novel faster than I can read one. I get about half an hour of relaxation reading in the evenings before I go to bed, and I'm a fairly slow reader. But even that gets swallowed up sometimes: just today I received the 514-page typeset galleys for PAUL OF DUNE to be proofread by the weekend...so guess what I'm going to be doing every waking moment until then.
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 am.

Damn...they are dragging their feet on this one, aren't they?

But back to the beginning of the quote: NO SHIT.

(I'm now hearing Kevin sing, "I can whip out an idear, hike it up in the pan ... 'cause I'm a WO-O-O-O-MAN" :shock: er, never mind!)
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Well, that's kind of like asking "How does a marriage work?" Different people do it different ways. And you really do have to get along with your collaborator because it's VERY tough on the ego. But I've done 29 novels with my wife Rebecca, and we've been married almost 17 years. Brian Herbert and I have done a million and a half words together, and we've gotten in one five-minute fight.
Cause he knows I will beat the afro shine off that head...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, the bastard's online over there as we...er, I, speak...or type. :twisted:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

AGAIN WITH THE FUCKING FOOD?! :evil:
>>How do you plot? What methods work best for you?

I'm not even sure I can answer that, since I've been doing it for so long. Stories just keep popping around in my head, and I put the pieces together in a way that seems natural to me. It's like taking a bunch of ingredients in a kitchen and making a gourmet dinner. Only this time the Iron Chef challenge is to use plot elements.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

>>How do you keep plot ideas from seeming cliche?
By reading a lot, watching a lot of TV and movies, so that you are very familiar with what's out there.
Yea we can tell.....
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Our Robbo is over there! Yeah!!!!
Expanding on the earlier question,
How important is it in your mind to remain consistent to the established canon of a universe you did not create?
Finally answered:
Immeasurably important. You have to know the other universe inside and out and you have to get everything right -- this is especially true because the fans of those universes (Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Files, Dune, etc.) also know the series inside and out and [because *they* all want to write novels there] they are trying to catch you at any mistake.
So, Kevin thinks we all want to write Dune books and are just jealous of him.

We were right....he IS stupid as well as full of shit.
Last edited by SandChigger on 24 Jun 2008 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Lets see if he responds to any of my questions.....

Rob
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

^^^
Immeasurably important. You have to know the other universe inside and out and you have to get everything right -- this is especially true because the fans of those universes (Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Files, Dune, etc.) also know the series inside and out and [because *they* all want to write novels there] they are trying to catch you at any mistake.

Ummm...wow, he knows what he is supposed to do but sucks so just can't quite achieve it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, I just edited his reply into my post above.

Note that parenthesis in square brackets!!! :twisted:
BH

Post by BH »

Brian Herbert and I have done a million and a half words together, and we've gotten in one five-minute fight.
Oh God! The remedial measures he took on me after that were.....exquisite!
The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I write because if I didn't write, then my head would explode from all the ideas that keep coming.
EMOTICON ARTISTS TO THE FORE!!! :twisted: