Muad'Dib gave us a particular kind of knowledge about prophetic insight, about
the behavior which surrounds such insight and its influence upon events which
are seen to be "on line." (That is, events which are set to occur in a related
system which the prophet reveals and interprets.) As has been noted elsewhere,
such insight operates as a peculiar trap for the prophet himself. He can become
the victim of what he knows -- which is a relatively common human failing. The
danger is that those who predict real events may overlook the polarizing effect
brought about by overindulgence in their own truth. They tend to forget that
nothing in a polarized universe can exist without its opposite being present.

-The Prescient Vision, by Harq al-Ada

Leto stands at a palmyrie contemplating walking into the desert forever, how easy that would be. The sandtrout have penetrated into ever organ, changing him and he changes them. The new breed of greedy Fremen remind him why he must not. Paul comes to him and Leto tells him he faces a difficult choice. Paul remarks that he thought Leto had already made all the choices but Leto reminds him of that trap. Leto is no longer relying on pure vision but vision management. Leto must go meet Farad'n and asks Paul to preach in Arrakeen once more with himself as his guide. He tells him he will not return. Paul agrees.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Chapter 61

Post by Freakzilla »

Revised
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Constan'kar

Post by Constan'kar »

Hello everyone! This is my first post!

I'm a bit confused about whether Paul is on Leto's side and following his plan. In Chapter 54, when they talked in the desert, Paul wanted Leto not to go through with it, but Leto said it was too late. Now, Paul seems willing to die for this plan. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, what is Kralizec?
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Constan'kar wrote: 24 Jul 2024 18:09 Hello everyone! This is my first post!
Hi!
I'm a bit confused about whether Paul is on Leto's side and following his plan. In Chapter 54, when they talked in the desert, Paul wanted Leto not to go through with it, but Leto said it was too late. Now, Paul seems willing to die for this plan. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Paul was aware of the option to take on the sandtrout and do what Leto II was about to, but (a) knew it would make him a monster just as bad at the Harkonnens, and (b) didn't see the absolute necessity for it. (b) is something we've debated because it's not 100% clear that there was a necessity for it until Leto II came along. But Paul does see that Leto's vision on this matter is greater than his own, so admits ignorance, at any rate. It's not clear (or perhaps relevant) whether Paul is 'on his side'. But if we assume Paul trusts Leto's vision of the future we know (from the box test) that Paul is capable of committing himself to a painful course if it's required. Plus he's not the one who has to be the monster.
Also, what is Kralizec?
It is never explained. We could suppose it's the bad future Leto II saw that required the Golden Path, but this is not quite specified. It could be the thing referenced on GeoD, but could also be something that was going to be in Dune 7, or never explained at all.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"