New PoD-Cast on Hairy Ticks!!!

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Scan finished!

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Ampoliros wrote:
The woman’s voice had come from the far end of the balcony, in the shadows that hid the door to the passage the guard had used. Had some spy or assassin managed to invade his sanctum? A Reverend Mother of the hated Bene Gesserit?
I don't remember Paul hating the Bene Gesserit. Sure he kept them pacified and they were untrusted, but hated? But i think we are missing another important point.

PAUL IS FUCKING PRECIENT. HE WOULD KNOW EXACTLY WHO IT FUCKING IS. Unless its someone else who is Prescient. In which case he'd know it was a Navigator. No Kevin, Navigators can't fly. Or fold space.
Good point.
He strained but could see no one there. Then, slowly, as if coalescing from the darkness itself, a figure moved slowly towards him.

Finally the woman came to a place where her face was lit by the lights of the city below and she stopped.
How the lights of the city can lit a face of a Ghost or a OM???
Oh, KJA, why you are so fucking bad writer?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

:shock:

That's a joke, right? Its not some April Fools prank? Holy shit.

If I thought about it I could probably write a more entertaining farce than what KJA and Brian call an actual chapter of Paul of Dune. Its an acquired taste, to be sure, but I think I may already have done so.

*Note* My next update will probably not be as "epic" as this chapter of PoD, but I do have Gurney sing another song to Jessica... and I almost feel embarrassed/ashamed of what I wrote.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

i'm sincerely thinking of rewriting the chapter. just so my soul will be at peace.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

Ampoliros wrote:i'm sincerely thinking of rewriting the chapter. just so my soul will be at peace.
i'm with you on this. in fact let's just write the books for them and they shold go something like this:

i'm liking what i have so far :wink:

so i take it this is what byron was on about when he said the kicked the prose into higher gear? :roll:

reading through that, all i can see is a mix of buzzword stck together that barely make any sense, combined with some pretty average descriptions that a 4 year old could pull out of a hat. Dune was a finely written pice of literature, crafted using proper language, not some piece of 3rd-rate trash like this is turning it's reputation into. :wink: :wink:
I am a mortal god.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...just checking here, but Paul never saw Leto II coming, right? :?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Um...just checking here, but Paul never saw Leto II coming, right? :?
Didn't we already decide this was because LetoII was a more powerful prescient?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Um...just checking here, but Paul never saw Leto II coming, right? :?
Didn't we already decide this was because LetoII was a more powerful prescient?
That's my belief.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I was under the impression that Muad'dib knew about the Golden Path, he just wasn't brave enough to do it. He also had other concerns like protecting Chani. I think he knew his offspring would have to make the choice. He doesn't see Leto, but it seemed like he knew that his line would produce something that would still lead to the Golden Path.

I'm rereading Children of Dune atm, I'll see if it mentions anything.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:I was under the impression that Muad'dib knew about the Golden Path, he just wasn't brave enough to do it. He also had other concerns like protecting Chani. I think he knew his offspring would have to make the choice. He doesn't see Leto, but it seemed like he knew that his line would produce something that would still lead to the Golden Path.

I'm rereading Children of Dune atm, I'll see if it mentions anything.
Near the end of CoD, Paul and Leto have a "battle of visions" where Paul admits that he did not see humanity's extinction as a possibility in the future. However, he did see something similar to the Golden Path. If Paul had done it, it would have been soley to teach humanity a lesson. Leto's GP had the dual purpose of saving humanity while teaching it a lesson.

viewtopic.php?t=678
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'll be a man and admit my mistake. :oops:

No screw you guys I'll just wait for KJA to retcon it. :twisted:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Not until he was born, in fact, the announcement of his birth makes him lose his "Vision" and he stumbles.

viewtopic.php?t=114&view=previous
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

has there been any discussion over the apparent telepathy between Muad'dib and Leto II in DM when Leto gives Muad'dib the use of his eyes. Is this perhaps the only time when both Leto II's vision and Muad'dibs are the same, hence Muad'dib can 'see' the event, even if only from Leto's Point of view.
chanilover

Re: Scan finished!

Post by chanilover »

SandChigger wrote:, and then he arose and quietly wrapped himself in a light robe of fine Terrinian broccato
Yay! They've put Muad-Dib in a fucking dress. Trannies of Dune lives!
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Terrinian broccato
Chig, this is your transcription, right? Are you sure that they didnt say "Terranian," as in of Terra?

Im just looking for more eivdence of their idiocy. Forgive if Im off base here.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I was afraid of that as well.

Earth of Dune trilogy, where Kwizatz Idaho leads a caravan of the stars to find lost Tupile while the remnants of Omnius's Android Face Dancer Sexbot Marines chase them down.

Sounds like it would make a killer sci-fi original series...

The first time I read Dune, I had in the back of my mind that we would discover that Arrakis was actually Terra.

Its my opinion that something happened to Earth to cause it to be insignificant in the Empire. A junkie sycophant like KJA would probably suggest it was destroyed in "EPIC SPAZE BATLZ". In Frank's universe as well as in Hard sci-fi the loss of Earth's importance could simple be a matter of location or resource. 10,000+ years of using Earth's resources to expand into the galaxy would turn it into a rock, and at best a Historic Preserve. Earth the Museum, visited only by very wealthy private school students and Shamanistic wanderers.

Holy Shit there is more good sci-fi in this last post then in ALL of KJA's writings.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um...it's a scan, not a transcription.

The fate of the Earth in the Legends books is actually one point indicating Brian may have some input into their books, because he really seems to hate our little planet: he destroys it completely in his first Timeweb book as well. (His Bodacious Mutatays aliens comblamerate it somfin AWFUL. :roll: )

Returning to the REAL Duniverse, at the end of the Butlerian Jihad and subsequent religious riots, Earth was still relevant enough to serve as the venue of the Commission of Ecumenical Translators.

Um...I don't think "using Earth's resources to expand into the galaxy" is a very realistic picture. (Lifting stuff out of a gravity well is a MAJOR bitch, remember.) We just use them now because that's all we got. Once we get offworld a bit more, we'll have LOTS more stuff to play with out in the rest of the Solar System. Also, there's no reason to suppose Solsys will provide the resources for expeditions to the nearest systems.

OMG...I've gotten up in PEDANTIC MODE. :shock:
A Thing of Eternity

SandChigger wrote: Um...I don't think "using Earth's resources to expand into the galaxy" is a very realistic picture. (Lifting stuff out of a gravity well is a MAJOR bitch, remember.) We just use them now because that's all we got. Once we get offworld a bit more, we'll have LOTS more stuff to play with out in the rest of the Solar System. Also, there's no reason to suppose Solsys will provide the resources for expeditions to the nearest systems.
Indeed, asteroids and such would be much easier to work with, even the moon if it has anything worthwhile.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Obviously, but we'd have to start here. I didn't mean to suggest that Earth was strip-mined into oblivion; just that enough resources were used pushing out into the solar system as to make Earth into a very fragile system needing Humanity to put it's remaining resources completely on a reserve status.

I forgot about the C.E.T. being held on Earth but even then that was several thousand years before the events of Dune.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Um...it's a scan, not a transcription.

The fate of the Earth in the Legends books is actually one point indicating Brian may have some input into their books, because he really seems to hate our little planet: he destroys it completely in his first Timeweb book as well. (His Bodacious Mutatays aliens comblamerate it somfin AWFUL. :roll: )
Never put anything past them. Nothing. NOTHING!!! :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

"Bodacious Mutatays". Heh heh.

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Um...it's a scan, not a transcription.

Never put anything past them. Nothing. NOTHING!!! :wink:
After this Serena incident, I won't ever put anything past them. They just aren't happy until every single thing in the series is made the result of their characters instead of Frank's - I'm sure later books will show Norma guiding LetoII during his time in power. Now that I think about it, I'll put money on that.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The Serena retconn makes me want to weep with anger and frustration.

If they want to write fucked up novels with lame plot devices outside the main sequence, then that's tolerable - barely. We can just squint the right way so that only the FH novels are visible. But inserting Serena/Omnius/Norma nonsense between canon novels to explain away complexities of character?

That's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thing, your Norma/Leto II prediction is all too likely. God help us.

HBJ
A Thing of Eternity

Hunchback Jack wrote:The Serena retconn makes me want to weep with anger and frustration.

If they want to write fucked up novels with lame plot devices outside the main sequence, then that's tolerable - barely. We can just squint the right way so that only the FH novels are visible. But inserting Serena/Omnius/Norma nonsense between canon novels to explain away complexities of character?

That's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thing, your Norma/Leto II prediction is all too likely. God help us.

HBJ
When I first realized that Chig had posted a real chapter I was so livid I stopped working for the first few hours (I read it shortly after I'd started my work in the morning).

Freak - we should start a bet with Byron that one of the new characters (probably Norma or Serena) ends up guiding LetoII and undermines everything about what FH wrote around the GP.

Either A: He'll accept the bet, not believing that KJABH would stoop that far, then he'll have to pay up when they do insist on doing so.
Or B: He accepts the bet and then tells KJABH not to do something that retarded - we have to pay up, but we don't have to hear about FH's legacy being further destroyed. I'm fine with that, I'd pay to stop them from doing allll kinds of things.
Or C: He refuses the bet. Nothing gained, nothing lost.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:I forgot about the C.E.T. being held on Earth but even then that was several thousand years before the events of Dune.
In the REAL Duniverse it happens between the end of the Jihad (which ended in 88 B.G., we're all straight on that, right? :lol: ) and probably before the full establishment of the Guild monopoly on space travel...so basically before or around 1 A.G. (How many years did it continue again?)

So it REALLY (Duniverse-wise at least) took place over 10,000 years before Dune.

I expect the Hacks Twain to put it after 1 A.G. and to have either terraformed the Earth in record time or place the C.E.T. on an orbital habitat or the moon or some such crap. (Mentioned long ago by TAZ on DN, so you have to wonder if Kevin let something slip out during a moment of intense...um, distraction? :shock: )
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:...we should start a bet with Byron that one of the new characters (probably Norma or Serena) ends up guiding LetoII and undermines everything about what FH wrote around the GP.

Either A: He'll accept the bet, not believing that KJABH would stoop that far, then he'll have to pay up when they do insist on doing so.
Or B: He accepts the bet and then tells KJABH not to do something that retarded - we have to pay up, but we don't have to hear about FH's legacy being further destroyed. I'm fine with that, I'd pay to stop them from doing allll kinds of things.
Or C: He refuses the bet. Nothing gained, nothing lost.
Or D: Delete the post and pretend it never happened! :lol:

Go Byron! :D