Us VS Them

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

A Thing of Eternity

Re: Us VS Them

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

redbugpest wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:
redbugpest wrote: But what is "genuinely interesting" to you may not be "genuinely interesting" to me.
Isn't it your position that there's something good about the new Dune books?

redbugpest wrote: If I found it to be lame, I wouldn't waste my time on it...
That's why I stopped reading in the middle of Paul of Dune, and threw it against the wall. This is also why I'm going to stay out of this debate. I'm still waiting for it to get going, though, and move beyond this debate about whether or not the debate should take place.

I promise that I will stay out of a serious discussion.
Yes, I think that the new books are entertaining on their own. I have eclectic tastes when it comes to reading. Not everything I read needs to be in the same class as Herbert, Asmov, Heinline, Niven, Clark and other Sci-Fi legends.
This is in my opinion a bit missleading, because on it's surface it sounds like you're agreeing with us, but really you're just saying that they're not on par with "legends". This is a common thing to say. Even Byron knows they are bad writers, but can't say it, so he says "of course it's not as good as FH".

Nobody expects them to be on par with FH, but we expect them to be at least half-decent at writing, and they're not. Even when comparing them with something like Dragon Lance (notoriosly bad writing and pulpy) they fall utterly flat when it comes to character building, basic consistancy, dialogue, you name it.

I also don't need everything I read to be on that level, but I do need it to be better than terrible.
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 08 Jun 2010 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

redbugpest wrote:. Not everything I read needs to be in the same class as Herbert, Asmov, Heinline, Niven, Clark and other Sci-Fi legends.
Who? ... :roll:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sev

Post by Sev »

And the idiot spells three of the 'legends' wrong - nothing more needs to be said :roll:

Shame the idiot has totally derailed aToE's thread - probably the longest ongoing on-topic one on the board...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
A Thing of Eternity

Sev wrote:
Shame the idiot has totally derailed aToE's thread - probably the longest ongoing on-topic one on the board...
I'm ok with the derailment, we're all guilty of that from time to time. Plus - I started it by calling him names, so it was fair game for him to jump in.

It'll get back on topic in 4 months when I post the next update on how dead DN is.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Heinline, Asmov, and Clark are terrible writers.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

merkin muffley wrote:Heinline, Asmov, and Clark are terrible writers.
Just reading their names make me cringe.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

redbugpest wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:...he enjoyed them and was happy to have more Dune, and wasn't offended by the errors the same way the rest of us were.
If someone had done something genuinely interesting with Dune, but it was inconsistent with things in FH, I wouldn't necessarily be offended. If it was good. If they changed something, and their reason was really lame, it would be a problem.
But what is "genuinely interesting" to you may not be "genuinely interesting" to me. If I found it to be lame, I wouldn't waste my time on it...
You're a rare flower, different from all those around you. Congratulations.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:At this time I will only commit to considering the idea.
In the meantime, you need to pick your winner for the World Cup:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2264&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(all the cool kids are playing ...)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

you mean terrble writrse :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sev

Post by Sev »

lotek wrote:
you mean terrble writrse :)

You got that rite - "Stringer in a String Land" was just badly strung, "Fundation" was no fairground ride and "Number Two: A Space Enema" frankly gave me the runs...
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

redbugpest wrote:It is the commonality of viewpoints that make them "sanctioned" here.
Nonsense. There's no *requirement* for agreement here. There just happens to *be* a lot of agreement. There's also a good dollop of disagreement about a great many things.
But again, that is fine. You represent a community held together by your beliefs. When an outsider comes in and challenge any part of your belief system you band together to defend it, and to try to convert the outsider to your way of thinking. A perfectly natural thing for any community to do.
To some extent, I agree. But I think many of us respond as individuals who happen to agree with each other. Often a discussion to counter an argument supporting the books will result in discussions *between Jacurutu members* about the details. But in any case, a community of like-minded people does not mean we have a set of sanctioned beliefs.
Unfortunately, I cannot accept all of your views, and will not change my opinions previously stated just to "fit in" to this community.
No one wants or requires you to. But given that most people here don't like the new books, and enjoy discussing the old books, you probably won't *feel* like you fit in if you insist otherwise. If, for example, you introduce details from the KJA/BH novels into a discussion about the details of the originals, people will respond in a spirited manner.

It's a matter of expectations more than anything else, I think.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

YO! Redbug! Take heart & fight the good fight! Remember- 'perfection is the enemy of good enough.' There are few acts that will earn respect better than clear & logical defence of an unpopular opinion. Gowan dog! Get it!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

redbugpest wrote:Those of us who like the new books have heard all the arguments from the OH, and have rationally and fairly decided to reject them.
"I enjoyed them, so I'll ignore the flaws" is an irrational argument (albeit a valid one that you are free and welcome to hold).

But don't every confuse it with something rational or fair.

(Oh and, :dance: Re: those numbers :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't have a problem with people liking McDune, it's with people who say they are worthy of being considered Dune canon and are in fact good literature.

McDune would suck even if they weren't Dune books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Nonsense. There's no *requirement* for agreement here. There just happens to *be* a lot of agreement. There's also a good dollop of disagreement about a great many things.
Well, hell, who forgot to copy HBJ on the new registration procedures?! :twisted:
Disclaimers & Confidentiality Agreement

[Required] [ ] I affirm that I am a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books and ONLY Frank Herbert's Dune books and can wholeheartedly support and recommend these books to others.
[Required] [ ] I understand that by joining Jacurutu I may learn confidential information about Orthodox Herbertarian projects and tactics. I agree not to disclose any confidential information obtained from this website unless asked to do so.
[Required] [ ] I agree not to disagree with established Orthodox Herbertarian opinions as stated on this website.
[Required] [ ] I understand that if I fail to abide by any of these conditions, I will forfeit my rights on Jacurutu and probably be soundly excoriated by the entire membership.
Yeah, right. Must have Jacurutu confused with some jack-off other site. :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

What happened to the rest of it? Or is that just the one for here?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, you must be thinking of the EXTRA LONG one The Tidwell makes you sign!

[EDITED BY THE ALMIGHTY BYRONADMIN]

:shock:

Whoa ... talk about the long arm of the LOL! :shifty:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:Well, hell, who forgot to copy HBJ on the new registration procedures?! :twisted:

[Required] [ ] I affirm that I am a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books and ONLY Frank Herbert's Dune books ...
:lol: :clap:

Perfect. Nice one.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Oh, you must be thinking of the EXTRA LONG one The Tidwell makes you sign!

[EDITED BY THE ALMIGHTY BYRONADMIN]

:shock:

Whoa ... talk about the long arm of the LOL! :shifty:
Dont forget the OH paddle-machine we make everyone go through too.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oooh. I especially loved that bit. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I missed the paddle machine TOO??? G-ddammit.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

SandChigger wrote:

[Required] [ ] I affirm that I am a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune books and ONLY Frank Herbert's Dune books and can wholeheartedly support and recommend these books to others.
I know i pm'd you guys about correcting the language in this one because it does not show proper respect to Dune or Frank Herbert. It needs to read more like this:

[Required] [ ] There are Six fucking Dune books, and Frank Herbert is their author.
Gets the point across with just enough cultural recognition by using an Islamic quote for its basis. The use of that quote also give just the right tenor for our fanaticism as well.

Islam is a great and true religion, delivered by the Archangel Gabriel to the Prophet Mohammad, Blessings and Peace be upon him. Copyright Stephen Colbert 2002
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

I'll buy a t-shirt with that on it!
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
A Thing of Eternity

Hey, just checking some numbers and thought I'd post a mini-update as some of them are pretty amazing.

In the last 5 weeks since the update, our posting has gone through the roof - we're up almost 20%, from something like 81 posts per day to just under a hundred. (I think it was over 3 and a half thousand new posts) If this keeps up the next report is going to be insane.

Also, we've gotten 27 new members in the last 5 weeks (8% increase). Summer is treating us well, very well!

And on the flip side, DN has had 398 new posts... under 11 per day.

WE BEAT THEM SO FAR FOR NEW MEMBERS, they have only 23 new members.

Sorry, I know it's not time yet but I just couldn't resist.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.