posts that I think will get deleted at DN

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: posts that I think will get deleted at DN

Post by Freakzilla »

Then Hypatia signed up here, and there was pandemonium. I don't think she was breaking any of our few rules, but her mere presence was enough to stir our members into a frenzy. So Omph banned her and she started Sietch Tabr. Someone else will have to fill in what went on there, I tried to stay out of it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Before Tabr though there was the more or less final exodus from DN, with almost all the major posters either being banned unwillingly, or going down in a Blaze of Glory (most of these "Blazes" being chronicaled over at T(A)U) to show solidarity with those who had been banned just for not putting up with the HLP's shit, and to let Byron know just how much we all valued membership on his forum.

This was also the time when the term "Freakbanned" came into being, used to describe when a person is not actually banned from a forum but merely has their password changed by the Admin so that they cannot log in, but preventing the rest of the forum from realizing that an important member had been banned.

During this came a breif period of all out sock-puppetry, with many of the old members signing up with multiple accounts to mess with Byrons head. This was the final time of any signifcant posting on DN, during which there were a few last great debates, then near silence ever since.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:Then Hypatia signed up here, and there was pandemonium. I don't think she was breaking any of our few rules, but her mere presence was enough to stir our members into a frenzy. So Omph banned her and she started Sietch Tabr. Someone else will have to fill in what went on there, I tried to stay out of it.
Sietch Tabr's look came directly from the chaos that must be Hyatia's thoughts. It is hard to find, navigate and participate. Only two discussions ever got started and most of it centered around the circumstances under which she would ban someone. Did I mention that she had created a new persona for herself with a sleek new avatar? Well she did. It died the quickest of deaths and they claim that there's nothing new to discuss and they're busy in real world activities. I hope she didn't register the domain for too long, what a waste of money.

Someone want to pick it up with Jacurutu's Round 2 of preek activities?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Also, if someone would give details about pre-Arakeen/DN times, I've always wondered about that. I have no idea how long some of you guys have known each other, and I know there were a few old forums like DOD that I really know nothing about.

I think once this has all been compiled the relevant posts from this thread should be copied into a new stickied thread that has none of the extra conversation, just the story.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Also, if someone would give details about pre-Arakeen/DN times, I've always wondered about that. I have no idea how long some of you guys have known each other, and I know there were a few old forums like DOD that I really know nothing about.

I think once this has all been compiled the relevant posts from this thread should be copied into a new stickied thread that has none of the extra conversation, just the story.
I was mostly a lurker back then but most of what I could find around 1997-1998 had to do with sites that were all kind of tied together via something called a web ring. I would just go from site to site trying to find any kind of community like the Star Wars boards that were pretty active at the time. I mostly talked about Dune and kja-hatin' on a Star Wars board called Echo Station before that died out. As far as I know, Crysknife has been more involved than most of us in actual Dune only content. I remember seeing that name pop up a while back. I lurked on Arrakeen but could never stand the brown and the layout so when DN started their crap board I joined in and eventually started posting on Arrakeen as well since by that time I knew some of the members a little better.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dreamers of Dune (DoD) was the first and most active Dune forum that I ever found.

I was impressed with the number of Dune knowledgeable people there and lurked there for about a year before I had the courage to actually post.

Eventually people started asking me questions and I guess that's where I established my Dune Cred'.

The admin just disappeared one day and the forum started developing problems/bugs/got hacked and it died.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I think once this has all been compiled the relevant posts from this thread should be copied into a new stickied thread that has none of the extra conversation, just the story.
Good Idea. :idea:
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Here's a link to the Dune Webring I mentioned: http://q.webring.com/hub?ring=ibad&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: Also, I found a Wayback Machine (archive.org) link to the Runaway Train thread, but some of the posts have not been archived. If anyone feels like trying them be my guest, I'm not sure when I'll get to them all. These archived links can take awhile to load.

http://web.archive.org/web/200606182054 ... MRAnderson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Yep, this all sounds about right to me. Orald was also one of the first people to spread the word about Arrakeen.

I used to frequent in the SyFy channel Bboards when they were making the first Dune. And like Freak, I lurked a bit at the old DOD site for awhile. I joined that about 16 months before it went under. Dreamers of Dune was the first large online Dune community. It was started by Ivan the Naib. Then came the Landsraad and Fed2k sites. After many years of running the best Dune board ever seen, Ivan grew tired of it and sold it to someone named Octavius of Amerige, who proceeded to ignore and neglect the once proud forum and it soon died thereafter.

Many wanderers settled at Arrakeen, and Worm's scifi Haven. A little later the official Dune board came online and the rest is history. A few years after DOD, I found Ivan the Naib's email and shot him some questions because no one could find the guy and he wasn't answering anything from the DOD site right before it went down. He told me he was sorry for what happened but to me he seemed rather uninterested. He mumbled something about starting another DOD site and he did get one up(might still be up) but it never drew the attention of Dune fans like the original DOD.

Man, thanks for finding that thread Nekhrun! I wish the contents were all still there.
Last edited by Crysknife on 07 Apr 2010 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Crysknife wrote:
Man, thanks for finding that thread Nekhrun! I wish the contents were all still there.
Yeah, I've gone through about a quarter of them and it looks like they're gone. The only ones that have worked were about speculation that Omnious would return for Dune 7; Omar getting schooled about the Honored Matres; and some wackjob talking about FH predicting the future.

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Talos Aquinas wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Sounds like we need to hire an archivist... :?
You rang?
Yeah, when are you going to take all of this and write up a People's History of Orthodox Herbertarianism?

Since you're from the future, you can just copy and paste one that has already been written.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Crysknife wrote:He mumbled something about starting another DOD site but that never happened.
I believe he did, it was thesietch.com I think. It never really got off the ground.

There was an attempt to save the contents of DoD, it was called gholaforum.com I think. But by then all the old members had gone into the scattering.
~Pink Snowman
Talos Aquinas

Post by Talos Aquinas »

Nekhrun wrote:Since you're from the future, you can just copy and paste one that has already been written.
And emulate the "wormspunk grandson"?

We think not.
I sing the body electric...
And if the body were not the soul, what is the soul?
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Freakzilla wrote:
Crysknife wrote:He mumbled something about starting another DOD site but that never happened.
I believe he did, it was thesietch.com I think. It never really got off the ground.

There was an attempt to save the contents of DoD, it was called gholaforum.com I think. But by then all the old members had gone into the scattering.
You got to me before I edited! Oh man, I forgot about the gholaforum!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Crysknife wrote:You got to me before I edited!
Yeah, he did that to me, too.

(I think he's just showing off, wants us to know he hasn't lost the touch. :lol: )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Like a ninja... :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The GF was pretty much full of Europeans and loons. Not that those two groups were mutually exclusive, but I could tell who was who. I think Dario was the owner of that forum, and IIRC he or she was involved pretty heavily in DoD.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Omphalos wrote:I think Dario was the owner of that forum, and IIRC he or she was involved pretty heavily in DoD.
That was his name, been trying to remember that while reading this.

I had a account at DoD for a year or so before it died a slow shrivelling death. I mind Freaks Guinness avatar, a chap called Superstring who made some interesting posts and alluded to a cocaine fuelled past. Orald was there as well.

edit ti add:
Omph, were you on DoD as well?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I had also lurked at DoD and gholaforum sometime before reading Heretics and Chapterhouse (summer 2003? :shock: ) and finally participated a little on the first official Dune board. Man, that board was a mess. Could have fooled me it being official.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Tleszer wrote:Man, that board was a mess. Could have fooled me it being official.
I don't know what possessed them to go with that awful setup. Even though they moved to phpbb it still never really improved that much.

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

hey, that was wonderful, but I was just talking about the guy
listening to the audio books and asking Merritt what "C.H." stood for .....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I also was a member of DoD and posted regularly from 2001 until late 2003. I actually met my girlfriend via DoD and after 6 years we still live happily together. :violin:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:hey, that was wonderful, but I was just talking about the guy
listening to the audio books and asking Merritt what "C.H." stood for .....
:lol: I did a quick search but couldn't find it.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Crysknife wrote:I used to frequent in the SyFy channel Bboards when they were making the first Dune.
Scifi.com/dune :) That was ages ago :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -