Defense of the New Books

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:I wish they'd come to mingle with everyone online every now and again, but when the talks turn into insult-festivals it tends to turn one off.
That's why you get a moderator to host a chat. It's not like it's never been done before. Do you really think KJA doesn't read DN or this site? I'm sure they know what people say about them. I'd rather know what FH's fans think than have someone blow smoke up my ass. But I think the real problem here is that they just don't care as long as their books sell. They have obviously forsaken FH's fans for the ADD, short-attention-span generation.

Just for the record, I find their books personally insulting and an insult to FH's legacy and I'm ashamed that the HLP hasn't the balls to fire the hack. When you trash something people love, expect insults.
If you do end up throwing more hardball questions at KJA, I agree, he should prepare himself.
Being one of the self-proclaimed two biggest Dune fans, he shouldn't have to. I should not know more about the subject than any author attemting to write Dune novels. KJA is probably the only author with a big enough ego to even try it.
Your knowledge of classic Dune is unmatched from what I've seen. In fact, I've wondered many times why no one has ever approached you as a fact check/continuity aid. I'm sure it'd be a service you'd render free of charge judging from your enthusiasm for FH's works.
Thanks. I would have done it for free years ago, it would have been a dream come true for me, but I think the damage has been done. It would take another dozen books just to correct the ones they've written. Now they'd have to pay me, a lot, to read one of their books.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Simon wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Simon wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:My dad has made a life long living selling paintings, I think he's better than Van Gogh, but he's a realist and I don't appreciate impressionism very much.

http://www.neworleans.com/kendrickiii/

Wow, that is talent. Is your Dad self taught or did he go to a school?
(You should post some of your paintings too, I'd like to see them. :) )
Thanks. He's painted all of his life but he studied Art & Architecture at the University of Southwestern Louisiana with a minor in History.
Very cool. I'm a history buff myself (in interest, I'm not claiming expertise or anything). Are landscapes/scenes his main thing or does he do other stuff for himself? I personally have alternating styles, like what I do for the fan comic is "me" but when I do projects for others I'll tailor certain elements based on an individual jobs needs. I ask because the paintings on his page seem geared towards a certain market, and I'd suspect a man of your Father's skill probably has done stuff for his own enjoyment with no intention of selling it.
He's done all kinds of subjects, I wish I could show you some of his personal stuff. I remember looking at a sofa sized civil war battle sceen for hours when I was a kid. He used to do requests if the price was right, I remember once he did a painting of a clipper ship from someone's model. But since his gallery was in the French Quarter the shrimp boats and plantations probably sold a lot better.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

TheDukester wrote:
Simon wrote:Meanwhile not one disgruntled FH fan put in an appearance at the signing to represent you gentlemen or your position.
Oh, that's rich. Like book signings are some sort of traditional forum for debate. Get a fucking clue. Signings have been, are now, and always will be, fanboy-provided blowjobs for the author in question. They're love-fests, nothing more.
I don't think many people would go all shouty at a signing and call KJA an arse to his face (Much as some people would like to). They will hint at their desire to see the notes and get their book signed like everyone else.

And what percentage of the population turns up to these things? People there are most probably KJA fans, it's his name on the posters - that is the nature of the event.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:But I think the real problem here is that they just don't care as long as their books sell.
Ding!-ding!-ding! We have a winner!

Truer words have never been spoken about KJA, who has chosen to "interact" only with fans who provide endless streams of praise on his absurd MySpace page. Other than that, he says, "Why bother? All I do is hike out some random nonsense once per year and the same lowest-common-denominators buy it every single time! Why would I want to actually have a discussion with anyone?"

As for Brian Herbert ... frankly, who knows? It doesn't help that he is, by all accounts, actually scared of the internet. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure he really cares about too much at all. Just hand him a check once per year and he seems reasonably happy ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

"Weak troll" moving on to the next one ...
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Simon

Post by Simon »

DuneFishUK wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Simon wrote:Meanwhile not one disgruntled FH fan put in an appearance at the signing to represent you gentlemen or your position.
Oh, that's rich. Like book signings are some sort of traditional forum for debate. Get a fucking clue. Signings have been, are now, and always will be, fanboy-provided blowjobs for the author in question. They're love-fests, nothing more.
I don't think many people would go all shouty at a signing and call KJA an arse to his face (Much as some people would like to). They will hint at their desire to see the notes and get their book signed like everyone else.

And what percentage of the population turns up to these things? People there are most probably KJA fans, it's his name on the posters - that is the nature of the event.
Sure, no doubt every person there (myself included) was a fan on some level. But folks who like to lay it on so heavy online should do more than hint, I would think. If I were so passionate about something like this and had an opportunity to question without censor or being ignored I'd go for it. KJA didn't have goons waiting to drag anyone off in Dayton. When he opened the floor to questions I half expected Ron to pop out from behind a potted plant.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Trust me, now that I've been to Dragon-Con and have an idea how everything is organized, I will be at EVERY panel he's on next year.
~Pink Snowman
Simon

Post by Simon »

TheDukester wrote:
Simon wrote::lol:

"I don't like what I'm hearing" = Name Calling

Science! :P
I'm beginning to feel bad for schooling you so routinely, but it's really not my fault you keep bringing knives to gun-fights.

You're** going to have to do better than that.

+++++

**Note the contraction for "you are."

Better than what? :?

I mispelled something while typing like a machine gun. Who cares. Nekhrun did the same at DN:
Nekhrun wrote: Not one of us enjoys being angry and displeased. It is a logical side-effect for what has happened to books that we love so much. Many of us have been influenced a great deal by the writings of FH, so to call them "just books" is to compare them to anything else, which is silly. They are not "just books". They are thoughful works of entertainment that seek to instruct readers on ecology, politics, religion, government, etc. They took years upon years of research to take form. They are brilliant in almost every regard.
Guess since his spelling of "thoughtful" was off he must be a born retard.

:lol: You are good for a chuckle. :P
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DuneFishUK wrote:I don't think many people would go all shouty at a signing and call KJA an arse to his face (Much as some people would like to.
Which brings up a basic fact (setting aside all hyperbole for a moment).

Signings also mean good business for store owners (especially owners of independent shops), who are hoping to ring up many sales of not only the speaker's books, but also some additional sales for other authors (or else just random purchases made by curious onlookers).

So, despite Simon's lack of understanding on the subject, it's not like dissent is really going to be tolerated at a signing. Making the author feel uncomfortable is a sure way to be shown toward the exit. Which proves what, exactly? That it's possible to be thrown out of a store?

No, a signing for KJA is much like his beloved MySpace page: he knows he'll be able to control the flow of information. It proves nothing, least of all the "effectiveness" of the OH movement.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

My my, Simon, you're certainly ballsy all of a sudden yourself, aren't you? :D

OK, let's do this again for the slow on the uptake. I was already back in Japan by the time of the Dayton signing. Had to be back here for work by the 1st. REAL world commitment. You do understand those, right? But Kevin knows I'm from Ohio. Sent me a signed book there once, in fact. Since I couldn't actually be there in person, I thought it might be amusing if I could at least be there in the back of the little hack's mind, keep him wondering, maybe make him sweat a little, maybe make him ask for some security.

Did it work? No? Too bad. But do I really care? (Obviously worked on you, so that's a bit of coup! ;) )

But here's the more important point, bucko: Even if I had been in the States, I probably still would not have gone. Who the fuck but an fanboy wants to meet Kevin J. Anderson? Sure, he's probably the one really writing the books, but if I was going to go to one of these events, I'd only bother with one where Brian was going to be there. Brian's the one to ask the pointed questions about his father's books and the ones he has supposedly co-authored. Making him hem and haw and turn to Kevin for answers would be the ultimate in tasty.

(That was nice what you wrote about me over in your signing thread on DN, btw.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

You know, I used to have trouble with "its" and "it's." It happens, I suppose.
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but that is comedy gold :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol: :lol: Again, who cares? Not me.

This is a blog, not a spelling competition. :roll:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Edited.

Although this really was a pretty funny entry. Oh, well.
Last edited by TheDukester on 22 Oct 2008 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

GamePlayer wrote:Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but that is comedy gold :)
Interruption is probably a good thing at this point. This is going nowhere.

We're dealing with a guy who has spent three pages thinking he has made some sort of point because a scheduled KJA love-fest actually turned out to be ... wait for it ... a KJA love-fest!

Sadly, he is wrong.

End of story. Full carriage return. Unsubscribe. Next subject, please.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

*puts on mischievous instigator grin*

Let's talk about blogs :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:roll: Play nice, children!
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Freakzilla wrote::roll: Play nice, children!
:shock:

Whoa...déjà vu! ... I thought I was back on D...ahem...never mind.

;)

That's how it starts, Freak...RESIST the Dark Side!

(Even though Dark is the new chic! :P )
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I just don't like the name calling. Surely y'all can discuss your differences without being so childish.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Probably.

But remember, my hatred has made me irrational.

That nice cripple lady up in Canada you used to co-mod a forum with said so. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Probably.

She's really your sock puppet, isn't she? :P
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

CURSES! You have discovered the ultimate secret! :x

:lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Probably.

She's really your sock puppet, isn't she? :P
Wow! After all that stalking she made on him for online sex? :shock:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Freakzilla wrote:I just don't like the name calling. Surely y'all can discuss your differences without being so childish.
Who's being childish? "Not I" said the fly.

I don't get what my short comings as a speller have to do with Dune. Bad grammer is the hallmark of the internet, who am I to break tradition? :P

I'll keep spelling badly. The Duke over here will continue to be a jerk.
And none of this will change the fact that there are more satisfied Dune fans than disgruntled ones. That is "my point" dear Duke.

Uhhhhh I feel very trollish suddenly. Listen, I don't want to be a dick here, I'm just human. I don't see a need for the wild negativity is all.

OK, BH and KJA are destroying FH's legacy- this is the base of the arguement.

You claim it is altering the public perception of Frank's classic works.

I of course think this is wrong. First of all there are many different types of Dune fans. Scholarly ones such as some of you, and the average joe, or "joe six-pack" as Ron puts it. Dune's popularity is based on it's many levels, it has basic adventure elements for the joe and the depth (religion, politics, economics, etc) for the scholar. The suggestion that there is only one way to enjoy Dune, or a proper way is idiotic. That's like saying there is only one way to see or interpret a painting.

What makes great art "great" is it's broad appeal to all different types of people. If you guys can't see this then I don't know what to say.

I'm not here to try and "win", or whatever. I just want you guys to know that just because I'm not "your" type of Dune fanatic I am one never the less, and that no matter how many mean things you want to say or do I'm not going stop being a big fan of the series.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Son, I just don't think you're mentally equipped to
play over here like you're trying to.
And for the love of god, change your avatar.
Have you ever had some pussy, Son ?
Drawing fanfic comics is okay, I guess.
Well, no not really, but how old are you ?
If you've read all these posts over here and
seen the way the DN forum & the HLP is run,
and STILL don't get it.....

fuck. my left eye just went blind ....